Why do Honda’s have this “bad taste” about them?

Troy

I’ve owned 3 Hondas and 1 Triumph….

and that’s only because my local shop happened to be Honda dealer and a Triumph.

The Street Triple I had was only ever sold because I wasn’t ready for a naked bike just yet, since I really enjoyed that sports bike feel still.  Hence why I now have another CBR. I would happily own another Street Triple or even another brand of bike altogether. 

I’m inclined to stay with Honda for now because I like them and they have a good reputation about being durable and almost bomb-proof (subject to maintenance of course).

However, this was the reason why someone once said to me “Honda’s are boring, they never go wrong and that’s why I wouldn’t get another one”….. 🤨

I’ve also noticed that across the web, they don’t seem to score high across the review boards. Their lack of character, speed, and equipment that some feel should be standard rather than an extra, usually are the main bad points and yet…. The CBR600RR has won best middleweight sportsbike before?!

I even had a friend tell me I should come away from Honda, just purely because that’s all I’ve owned mostly. 

I’m genuinely happy with my Honda for now. That being said, I’m not 100% for Honda because if I’m being honest, I’m still not riding my dream bike which happens to be a Kawasaki (one day!!) 

BUT….. I still have a taste for them because I think they nice bikes and they work!

Anyway….Why do Honda’s have this “bad taste” about them? 

Edited by Troy

They have this bad taste because people voice that opinion and the crowds follow the that opinion mostly by people who have never ridden them let alone owned one! 

They are classed as bland due to being able to do everything so well and effortlessly! which isn't a bad thing to be honest 

Buy the bike(s) you want and ignore the crowds 

• Like 2

Its a bit like saying Suzukis are rust buckets.. or Kawasaki's are all a nasty hi-viz snot green colour. or Yamahas are something or other. Or BMWs are old mens bikes. or KTMs come with a maintenance manual thicker than the bible and 5yrs free recovery. (because you'll need it) Someone I knew (who's now dead) once visited the Hinkley factory and then went round telling anyone who would listen that the bikes were rebadged Kawasaki's, because all the machinery there came from Kawasaki heavy industries. so that made perfect sense. Oh.. and don't get me started on Italian bikes as my soldering iron is on the blink and I've run out of fuses. (and the shops are shut)

is any of this true?

Absonotley.

oh look.... a broken down Honda (with its seat off)

IMG_0830.JPG

Tradition can be a right bitch.

He eventually cheered up... after some dab handed bodgerizing.

IMG_0824.thumb.JPG.41772de33db004764d9f59e9ce44ead1.JPG

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Love my Honda, it's my first big bike but I'm more than happy with it!! It was also a highly recommended brand by my mechanic mate who's had bikes since he was a teen. I learnt on a MT-07 but couldn't bring myself to buy one as it just wasn't what I wanted and I didn't really rate it.

Personal preference is a wonderful thing, it's what makes everyone different and life that little more interesting 🙂

• Like 2

I think as everyone says go with what makes you happy. Love my Africa twin, engine on the tracer 900 was really lovely but for 2 up touring the AT wins hands down and does what I need so thats what matters. Lots moan about its switchgear but didn't take long to get used to nobody moans about the keys on a keyboard? And most stuff I don't need to adjust on the fly love the electronic suspension v easy to use 

Edited by MikeHorton
  • Like 2

On 13/10/2022 at 10:19, skyrider said:

used to have a 1999 cb 500 twin nice bike

I still have the next version, the CBF500, as my workhorse. Hugely reliable, easy to work on, easy to ride in all weathers. Very similar bike but has ABS and slightly uprated suspension. 

I used to have a CB500 years ago and that was a good workhorse as well. I was looking for one of those when I spotted the CBF.

After a Africa Twin, 2 VFR800, a Pan European 1300 and a Shadow 700

Only thing I have to say about all of them is, Africa Twin changed the chain kit twice,first VFR had to replace the ICU and chain kit, second VFR change the chain kit twice.

Shadow had to replace the stator and little clock. While the bike has been subject to all kind of abuse.

Other than maintenance/service they are pretty much bullet proof.

Having said that, I'm not a speed maniac and do enjoy when I know I can make 5,000 miles on a bike and nothing will go wrong.

Not certain what your talking about, I love my triumph.  I have had to do fork seals carbs, timing sensor, HT leads, re wire after fire, chain tensioner, service brake callipers I am sure there’s more.

You don’t know what your missing.

I had a bearing go on my BMW GS at 8000 miles. Owned from new and mollycoddled.

Sold it soon after, lost faith in it, cheap bearings being used.

Went back to that boring brand I'm used of.

Think it's brand jealousy to be honest.

Over 45 bikes owned now.

Probably not relevant today but I think Honda's got a bad reputation because in the early days they never got overhead camshaft bearings right . The issues I know about occurred with the K 1- 5 series of twins and with some smaller bikes such as the CD / CB 175 etc . The camshaft was set straight into the head and the journal was split so that the top half ran in the cylinder head cover . For reasons unknown , people used to remove the cover and put it back on using gasket sealant and incorrect torque values . Result , knackered cam shafts and engines .  With the CD/CB the camshaft ran in just two plain bearings , one at each end . Couple that with no proper oil filter and the general ignorance of first time buyers or ex Brit Bike riders and there is another recipe for failure . Then there was the " Chocolate Camshafts " fiasco with the VF engines . It turned out that they were turning faster than oil could lubricate them . ( Something like that ) These are merely personal experiences and things I've read but I've never been tempted to buy a bigger Honda for long term use . 

3 hours ago, fastbob said:

Probably not relevant today but I think Honda's got a bad reputation because in the early days they never got overhead camshaft bearings right . The issues I know about occurred with the K 1- 5 series of twins and with some smaller bikes such as the CD / CB 175 etc . The camshaft was set straight into the head and the journal was split so that the top half ran in the cylinder head cover . For reasons unknown , people used to remove the cover and put it back on using gasket sealant and incorrect torque values . Result , knackered cam shafts and engines .  With the CD/CB the camshaft ran in just two plain bearings , one at each end . Couple that with no proper oil filter and the general ignorance of first time buyers or ex Brit Bike riders and there is another recipe for failure . Then there was the " Chocolate Camshafts " fiasco with the VF engines . It turned out that they were turning faster than oil could lubricate them . ( Something like that ) These are merely personal experiences and things I've read but I've never been tempted to buy a bigger Honda for long term use . 

Yet I have never heard of any of that! 

At worst its just a bad rep from reg/rec's 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Yet I have never heard of any of that! 

At worst its just a bad rep from reg/rec's 

Oh yes ! That's right , we sold nothing but honda replacements in the shop . Electrex RR 33 or 35 if I recall . Regarding the V4 cams issue , apparently it wasn't oil after all . https://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/v4_cams_what.html

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 1

Me too, never.

I notice that my profile has been hacked and someone has added that I own a Honda. I want to disassociate myself from this scurrilous lie.

I did own one briefly and managed to ride it as far as Scunthorpe. for the glorious views. obviously. Sadly, on the way back it rained and the bike collapsed into a pile of rust. I walked away without a scratch as the bike was running quite badly... I was pushing it.

Seriously, Im old enough to remember when 'Japanese' was a byword for badly made... and then suddenly it wasn't. but.. that's not really what the OP was talking about, was it. As the vast majority of owners won't remember this sad little truism or never really cared. I kinda did.. because since I passed my test in 1982 Ive owned only one Japanese bike, which also happens to be a Honda and was manufactured in 2018.

During the 80s and 90s I didn't want one because I thought they were bad bikes. I didn't want one because they did nothing for me. Once I passed my test my first 'proper bike' was made in Warwickshire.

and looked very much like this.

e679bb11de91cb2308778a800920643d.thumb.jpg.69cac725403c2566bb855c98a7a91323.jpg

Were there bikes at the time that were better?  of course. did I want any of them? NO.

One of my earliest memories was my dad taking me to a garage. (dealerships didn't exist) to gawp at some bikes and the first thing he noticed was that the bikes were parked up on CARPET and none of them had drip trays underneath them. The garage was making a point that wasn't lost on him. I remember this so clearly because he never shut up about it. As he made pin money at the time by rebuilding British bikes to achieve that same thing.

If Hondas have any kind of bad reputation nowadays that's probably more about the marketing strategy of their Japanese competitors than problems with the bikes themselves. Kawasaki. Yamaha and Suzuki spend a fortune on trying to gain market share... and some people are apt to believe them, or believe them more because they were convinced enough to buy one. They become fanboys and so... enough said.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

Only owned two Honda motorcycle. One owned for six years and never went wrong. Other needs a full engine rebuild. 🙊

it's funny how we seem to stick with certain brands. I have owned so many Yamaha bikes.

7 hours ago, bud said:

Only owned two Honda motorcycle. One owned for six years and never went wrong. Other needs a full engine rebuild. 🙊

it's funny how we seem to stick with certain brands. I have owned so many Yamaha bikes.

yes most of mine have been yam's too

• Like 1

13 hours ago, skyrider said:

yes most of mine have been yam's too

Conversely , I have never owned or ridden a Yamaha . I wouldn't trust a manufacturer that sent out bikes for decade after decade knowing that the paint is going to fall off the engine . And then there's the XS750 with its inevitable second gear failure lurking in the memory .