New new PM

Mississippi Bullfrog

OK - so who is going to be mad enough to stick their name in the hat this time round?

Let's face it, it's about as attractive a job as taking command of the Titanic just as the coal bunker in boiler room 5 gave way. 

Or would someone play the plucky Brit going up in a single Spitfire with no ammunition against all the odds and bound to fail but smoke me a kipper and I'll be a hero whatever happens?

• Haha 3

On 20/10/2022 at 15:35, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

OK - so who is going to be mad enough to stick their name in the hat this time round?

Let's face it, it's about as attractive a job as taking command of the Titanic just as the coal bunker in boiler room 5 gave way. 

Or would someone play the plucky Brit going up in a single Spitfire with no ammunition against all the odds and bound to fail but smoke me a kipper and I'll be a hero whatever happens?

There is one man who wants the job:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63328852

brave or foolish in the present climate, any government that does the right thing is not going to make people happy…

• Like 2

If Bojo is on the final ballot that goes out to Conservative members, they will bring him back and that will break the parliamentary party.

70BBAA6D-41DA-40E5-817B-8F6A37AA4F2D.thumb.jpeg.aec1dca428dfafd2b15f13c405db9080.jpeg

But whatever the MPs choose, I can pretty much guarantee the Tory membership will choose the worst option. Not that there are many good options.  It’s very entertaining.

Edited by Gerontious

I keep reading that some Tory MPs are not keen on Sunak due to his role in ousting Johnson. 

I'd have thought that was a point in his favour?

Casting my mind back to the depths of Covid I recall people of widely different political views commenting that Sunak was showing some guts tackling things as Chancellor. 

With an eye on the next election he's probably the candidate Labour want least to become PM.

22 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I keep reading that some Tory MPs are not keen on Sunak due to his role in ousting Johnson. 

I'd have thought that was a point in his favour?

Casting my mind back to the depths of Covid I recall people of widely different political views commenting that Sunak was showing some guts tackling things as Chancellor. 

With an eye on the next election he's probably the candidate Labour want least to become PM.

Seems unlikely to me. if you think things are bad now, things are about to get very much worse. We're on a slippery slope to a housing crisis. Not due to a shortage but current mortgages are about to be come unaffordable for 10's of 1000s of home owners. private landlords will be forced to increase rents due to their mortgages escalating. First time buyers are already being priced out of the housing market. and that's just going to get worse. All credit is going to get more expensive. all loans.

And who will be blamed for this?

Yes.. of course the Tories will say "not our fault guv... this is worldwide" and that might even be true.. but it won't help all the people who are about to become significantly poorer. And the is to a great extent their core voting base.

Add to all this one the past months leading up to and following Johnsons resignation the Tories have provided shedloads of 'attack ad' material to both the Lib Dems and Labour. And don't get me started on Brexit because the shit is going to hit the fan over that soon too. When Tory papers are saying "Project fear were right" you know the whole house of cards is about to come tumbling down.

Of course all this is going on while the Tories have spent these past months sitting on their hands and arguing amongst themselves. After purging themselves of sensible politicians post Brexit. They have no capacity for shame or embarrassment for what they have done to this country. And that will stick to them like white on rice.

just think about it. Truss gave everyone an average £65 per month towards their fuel bills and at the same time caused average mortgages to rise by £500. and called that a success... her crowing achievement.

they are toast.

Edited by Gerontious

14 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Well at least he'll be paying for his own wallpaper and holidays.

I wonder if Liz had started stripping Bojo`s tasteless crap off the walls lol.

Cheers

Ian

• Haha 2

At least one thing. the "moron risk premium" seems to have been dealt with, get rid of the morons and the risk to the gilts, bonds and currency markets are gone. for now. Quite shocking  to think that only a week ago this country was seen as a bigger risk than Italy and Greece by the markets.

And what did the moron in chief have to say?

"In just a short period, this government has acted urgently and decisively on the side of hardworking families and businesses.'

She has no shame.

Edited by Gerontious