What you doing this weekend?

rennie

Faffing about with my parents. My dad has a procedure tomorrow which is supposed to rectify the mess made of his cataract treatment of last year. Believe it when I see it as he's now virtually blind. Hopefully on 31st we'll get some idea as to how bad its going to be. 

41 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I was due to take my dad into hospital for a procedure tomorrow. I've just heard that both he and my mum tested positive for Covid this afternoon. They're both late 80's so that's not great news.

You have my greatest sympathy but hopefully they have a mild cold like reaction like I am enduring at the moment.

Best wishes to them.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I was due to take my dad into hospital for a procedure tomorrow. I've just heard that both he and my mum tested positive for Covid this afternoon. They're both late 80's so that's not great news.

Fingers crossed its the milder variant and they both OK. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I've been trying to get a PCR test for them and there are none available anywhere. I'm totally at a loss what to do now. 

I think Wales is the nearest available for us. I think it's the sheer numbers, effects seem a lot less but its how quickly its spread. 

After my parents tested positive we had to postpone the ride planned for today - so we're going on Monday instead. I'm hoping Old Stores is open, am I right thinking Monday is a bank holiday due to New Year's Day being over a weekend?

4 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

After my parents tested positive we had to postpone the ride planned for today - so we're going on Monday instead. I'm hoping Old Stores is open, am I right thinking Monday is a bank holiday due to New Year's Day being over a weekend?

Scotland get Tuesday too although as they aren't allowed to do anything it's probably a wash.

I went cycling this weekend. Not very far, 13 miles one day and 22 the second. Just getting my recovery back in place .....

Yesterday i was cycling from Sheffield to Rotherham when ;

I was passing Meadowhall on the way back when i came upon a young man pushing his top of the range ( £9000 ) super spaceship Colnago carbon cycle ... Super Record adorned..
He was dressed in the finest raiments of lycra, his shoes cost more than my bike ...... as for his Oakley glasses ... I dare not consider the cost...
“Can i help you” ... I stopped to ask ....
“Thanks, but i’ve punctured” .. the Prince of Cycling replied...
“Do you not have a spare tube ?” says I.
"Whats the point” .. replied the Prince ... "I’ve phoned Mum” .
"I can fix it for you” ,, .. ,,
" I’t’s ok, you can't fix punctures” ... replied the man child ...
"Oh, is that right” ... I replied, smiled ... and cycled off ....

I really hope there was a communication problem going on ... and not that he was just stupid .....

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, JRH said:

When I’m out on the pushbike always carry a spare tube and repair outfit just in case.

2 tubes, tyre repair patch, chain link, full allen key set and chain rivet tool, pump, CO2 inflator, tyre levers, puncture repair kit and self adhesive patches.

All in a small pod in the bottom of the pannier ....

On 29/12/2021 at 17:46, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I've been trying to get a PCR test for them and there are none available anywhere. I'm totally at a loss what to do now. 

Contact the hospital .. they’ll arrange a PCR for Dad and just do repeat LFT’s for mum ... If you can't get any LFT’s ask a family member at school tomorrow ... they’ll be coming home with boxes of them ... So Boris and his mates say ....Alledgley ..

Edited by Trooper74

1 hour ago, Trooper74 said:

I went cycling this weekend. Not very far, 13 miles one day and 22 the second. Just getting my recovery back in place .....

Yesterday i was cycling from Sheffield to Rotherham when ;

I was passing Meadowhall on the way back when i came upon a young man pushing his top of the range ( £9000 ) super spaceship Colnago carbon cycle ... Super Record adorned..
He was dressed in the finest raiments of lycra, his shoes cost more than my bike ...... as for his Oakley glasses ... I dare not consider the cost...
“Can i help you” ... I stopped to ask ....
“Thanks, but i’ve punctured” .. the Prince of Cycling replied...
“Do you not have a spare tube ?” says I.
"Whats the point” .. replied the Prince ... "I’ve phoned Mum” .
"I can fix it for you” ,, .. ,,
" I’t’s ok, you can't fix punctures” ... replied the man child ...
"Oh, is that right” ... I replied, smiled ... and cycled off ....

I really hope there was a communication problem going on ... and not that he was just stupid .....

It is probably the kind of wheel where there isn't a tyre and inner tube, just tube that is effectively the tyre. So the only repair is to carry a spare tyre.

Just now, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

It is probably the kind of wheel where there isn't a tyre and inner tube, just tube that is effectively the tyre. So the only repair is to carry a spare tyre.

Over 40 years I didn’t buy a racing bike that I really loved because it had tubular tyres that were bonded onto the rims, there was no way to repair them out on the road. I needed a bike for transport, I needed to be able to repair punctures. 

3 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Thats what i thought ... tubeless tyres ... but the quick fix for tubeless repairs is a tube ... bear in mind tubeless tyres have re-sealing compound in them.

2 minutes ago, DR1 said:

Over 40 years I didn’t buy a racing bike that I really loved because it had tubular tyres that were bonded onto the rims, there was no way to repair them out on the road. I needed a bike for transport, I needed to be able to repair punctures. 

I raced on “Tubs” for 20 years, the only roadside repair is a replacement tub .... and a careful ride home ...... Their glued on !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DR1 said:

Yup, that's the kind of tube/ tyre I was thinking of.

• Thanks 1

Getting a new(ish) tent.

Replacing the 1m tall 2 person one with a 2 rooms 2.1m tall one

So if any of you want a wee tent let me know ;)