What you doing this weekend?

rennie

Probably nothing. Trapped a nerve in my shoulder about a week ago. Now a physio from the survey is phoning me on thursday. So we'll see how that goes.

Edited by JRH
Typo
  • Sad 2

This afternoon is a working party at our sailing club. I've been repairing the driveway, which was going fine until two clots lobbed a bag onto the bonfire right next to where I was working knowing there were two empty gas cartridges in there. Needless to say they exploded showering burning debris over a wide area. 

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

This afternoon is a working party at our sailing club. I've been repairing the driveway, which was going fine until two clots lobbed a bag onto the bonfire right next to where I was working knowing there were two empty gas cartridges in there. Needless to say they exploded showering burning debris over a wide area. 

I think I might have used stronger words than "clot". 

50 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

I think I might have used stronger words than "clot". 

I used a slightly stronger phrase at the time. Roughly translated it went something like, "My word, what a loud bang, what a pair of silly billies."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I used a slightly stronger phrase at the time. Roughly translated it went something like, "My word, what a loud bang, what a pair of silly billies."

I think I might have taken the Lord's name in vain. Possibly not an option for you. And then added various traditional English embellishments.

So cleaned and oiled th chain on Sunday. For some reason I saw the chain when I was getting on the bike to come home from work. Silkolene Chain Lube.... more like f*cking water!!! Fuming is an understatement.

Cleaned using parafin, wiped dry then two rotations of the chain, spraying the inside and outside links.

Recommendations for a new lube welcomed, plus do I need to replace the chain?

Chain 1.jpg

Chain 2.jpg

Silkolene Lube.jpg

Assuming I can treat today as part of the weekend (being retired I never know what day it is anyway), today I have been mostly riding along the coast of Dumfries and Galloway. The roads are a mixed lot, from remarkably tedious to pretty good. Similarly with the scenery. 

Did anyone see the film Wickerman? 

3E3A4D22-191D-4A53-9849-FD7D479B5DCA.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fish said:

So cleaned and oiled th chain on Sunday. For some reason I saw the chain when I was getting on the bike to come home from work. Silkolene Chain Lube.... more like f*cking water!!! Fuming is an understatement.

Cleaned using parafin, wiped dry then two rotations of the chain, spraying the inside and outside links.

Chain 1.jpg

Chain 2.jpg

Silkolene Lube.jpg

it should have worked better than that for the price of it 

4 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

It's the other way but have you looked at some of the roads between Moffat and Selkirk or on Upper Eskdale (the Scots Border Esk not the Cumberland one). They can be quite good.

Yes. I’ve ridden that way a few time. I’m less familiar with the south west of D&G, which is relatively accessible to me, so trying to add that to the mix.

As an aside. I rode the A712 heading east from the B794 today. It’s just as much fun that way. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fish said:

Chain 1.jpg

Chain 2.jpg

Silkolene Lube.jpg

I've come to the conclusion that in the winter all chain lubes are the same not perfect. I know it's messy but gear oil works, I don't mind the fling off in the winter and then revert to dry lube once the rock salt is gone. 

I find the white S100 spray quite good IF you apply it as per instructions. This has worked for all year round including thrashing up and down motorway between Gloucestershire and Morpeth in all weathers, salt and shit included.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Fish said:

Chain 1.jpg

Chain 2.jpg

Silkolene Lube.jpg

The Silkolene is the worst I've ever used. 

Do you need to replace the chain? So long as it's an O or X ring type then no. The lubricant is sealed in the links. Just make sure there are no sticking links to be on the safe side. The reason we "lube" the chain is mainly to protect it from rusting.

On the Bobber which is for good weather only I stick with dry wax applied sparingly and frequently.

For the Honda which is used in all weathers I've found the best solution is a Gidibi / Nemo 2 manual oiler. They are both exactly the same and are made in a Chinese factory. The Gidibi you buy straight from the manufacturer. The Nemo is shipped to Belgium, rebranded, and quadruples in price. Your choice. Since fitting it I've been using up old half empty containers of oil from gear oil to cheap 20W/50 engine oil. Everything works great in it. I just give it a quarter turn when I'm on a road that is 30-40mph and the chain hasn't needed any attention all winter.

• Like 1

Attending Edinburgh motorcycle show representing my charity :thumb: 

Will be waiting for you guys to help you lighten up a few quid off your pockets 🤭

6 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I'm in Liverpool taking my father to a hospital appointment, just watching a RN warship sailing out of the estuary. Wonder where it's going?

HMS Tyne? .. Fishery protection.

4 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

HMS Tyne? .. Fishery protection.

I've no idea what it was. I used to have an app that tracked shipping but it went a bit wonky and I stopped using it. I'm thinking it might have been heading towards Scapa Flow on account of there being a well known troublemaker on the loose up there.

• Haha 1