What you doing this weekend?

rennie

20 hours ago, goat said:

Popped round the olds,  fitted a new washing line airer thing, descaled their coffee machine, and a few other odd jobs, dug a bit more of our soakaway, sorted the extractor ducting that the builders half arsed, and had a lovely walk round a  local nature reserve. Now enjoying a good rum whilst the pork belly cooks. Tomorrow off to see Eric Bibb. 

How are you doing the soakaway? I've got drainage issues coming off the garage. And now I need to add to that with run off from the bike port I've just knocked up in front of it. How deep and what materials? I had a go years ago to improve what was just a gutter spout into the clay ground, but I just dug as far as could be arsed and chucked a few bags of pea gravel in. I now realise this has probably silted up so could do with being redone.

This weekend was spent pottering mainly. Recently my neighbour moved out and I have acquired all sorts of stuff off him like his old bench, which will make a nice flat surface to leave crap on outside of the garage. The drawers were stiff and very noisy so how satisfying to use my grandad's old oil can to fix her up.

Acquiredbench.thumb.jpg.93a43bccce4f78a2c9dcd108883bf92c.jpg

I've run out of space in the garage so I'm extending outwards. It's the future. Or I might start selling some stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smallfrowne said:

How are you doing the soakaway? I've got drainage issues coming off the garage. And now I need to add to that with run off from the bike port I've just knocked up in front of it. How deep and what materials? I had a go years ago to improve what was just a gutter spout into the clay ground, but I just dug as far as could be arsed and chucked a few bags of pea gravel in. I now realise this has probably silted up so could do with being redone.

This weekend was spent pottering mainly. Recently my neighbour moved out and I have acquired all sorts of stuff off him like his old bench, which will make a nice flat surface to leave crap on outside of the garage. The drawers were stiff and very noisy so how satisfying to use my grandad's old oil can to fix her up.

Acquiredbench.thumb.jpg.93a43bccce4f78a2c9dcd108883bf92c.jpg

I've run out of space in the garage so I'm extending outwards. It's the future. Or I might start selling some stuff.

Using attenuation crates. Cubic metre.

https://www.drainagepipe.co.uk/rainsmart-soakaway-set-shallow-flat-packed-1-cubic-metre-option-2-p-90003FV2/

We were hoping to get away with 0.6m3 but building control want 1m3. Hole is 1.5x1.6m and 900 deepish to allow for a gravel/ sand sidefill. Probably should have got a mini digger but trying to reign costs in. 

8 hours ago, smallfrowne said:

Had both my soakaways redone here. Separate jobs. One lot brought a nanodigger. The other lot chose to do it by hand; it took them two full days of pain and sweat. And they were younger and fitter than you matey. (And even youngerer than goat).

A cubic metre is the standard size. Needs to be buried just deep enough to run the drainpipe into the top of one side. As goat says, the hole needs to be a bit oversized to fill in afterwards.

Both have made a huge improvement to the drainage - with one, we went from an inch of standing water next to the garage after heavy rain to not a drop.  

8 hours ago, bonio said:

Had both my soakaways redone here. Separate jobs. One lot brought a nanodigger. The other lot chose to do it by hand; it took them two full days of pain and sweat. And they were younger and fitter than you matey. (And even youngerer than goat).

A cubic metre is the standard size. Needs to be buried just deep enough to run the drainpipe into the top of one side. As goat says, the hole needs to be a bit oversized to fill in afterwards.

Both have made a huge improvement to the drainage - with one, we went from an inch of standing water next to the garage after heavy rain to not a drop.  

Don't worry about me, I've got a labourer now. It does sound like effort though, I might see if I can get water to run uphill instead. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well I'm off to sunny old Wales in the morning, for 3 days, with a few mates to do the Welsh Rally, and maybe some Tags for the Challenge 100👍.

• Like 4

Quiet one this week! Pub Saturday night for a local duo :classic_biggrin:

Another big wedding next weekend! ( Sue's youngest Daughter this time)

pretty much the whole week already planned out, I'll be down there from Thurs :cheers:

• Like 1

Nothing bike related.

Gonna be in St Ives Cornwall tomorrow for the food & drink festival, then promptly back to Newquay Sunday morning to watch the mighty Cov ‘v’ Middlesboghorror in the 1st leg of the Championship playoffs: 

3 hours ago, husoi said:

Hiring a storage unit to store loads of crap accumulated in the house...

So you're now going to pay a monthly fee to store "crap" that you obviously don't use much and will use even less once it's out of site.

A skip would be a lot cheaper 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, oldgrump said:

Well I'm off to sunny old Wales in the morning, for 3 days, with a few mates to do the Welsh Rally, and maybe some Tags for the Challenge 100👍.

That wasn't you that passed me, going eastbound on the A5 this morning? 5 or 6 bikes all with luggage about 6.40ish. I was on the red bike, going to work

I'm on an emergency call out.

Grandaughter no. 1 got over excited with her bubble mix which is now all over the patio. I have a litre bottle of bubble mix strapped where my reserve fuel bottle goes on the Bobber to deliver this morning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3