Hand held chainsaw

gymwitch

The Stihl all day long !

Probably a long way from the cheapest but seem to be the choice of pro tree surgeons.

If electric as using at home I would suggest canvassing the opinion of people like Browns of Leighton Buzzard as they are the biggest agricultural equipment suppliers I know of.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Ian

37 minutes ago, dynax said:

Do you mean one of these ? If so don't waste your money, get yourself a decent petrol one.

41wGUBIrWNL.jpg

I have a cheap 240v one that has lasted over 15yrs, if it's for use at home and you have electric why go to the hassle of petrol.

25 minutes ago, dynax said:

2T smells nicer 🤣

Also you have no problems associated with it sitting for months and not starting, I will put a pic up of one of the logs to be cut when I get back.

There are a variety of small branch loppers as long as you don't continually try to burn it out no reason a small one shouldn't do what you want.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bender said:

Also you have no problems associated with it sitting for months and not starting, I will put a pic up of one of the logs to be cut when I get back.

Same reason I would not go for battery powered, built in obsolescence.

Have some training to use .

And use proper protective clothing .

Especially for carving .

One handed chainsaws are designed  for professional use  due to the increased risk of kick back 

( Where the saw violently kicks back towards the user if the blade working area is used incorrectly) 

For wood carving a small saw with a short bar length is best and to be used with Both hands ! 

I spent 15 years using one handled saws as a climber and various other saws since i was 7 ranging from 6 inch bars to 6ft (two man  saws) 

Edited by TimR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, onesea said:

Same reason I would not go for battery powered, built in obsolescence.

Why is that? I've got loads of battery powered stuff and the batteries seem to last for years. If they eventually die it's surely cheaper to replace a battery pack than an IC motor?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, TimR said:

Especially for carving .

One handed chainsaws are designed  for professional use  due to the increased risk of kick back 

( Where the saw violently kicks back towards the user if the blade working area is used incorrectly) 

For wood carving a small saw with a short bar length is best and to be used with Both hands ! 

I spent 15 years using one handled saws as a climber and various other saws since i was 7 ranging from 6 inch bars to 6ft (two man  saws) 

You are giving good advice there @TimR I would suggest @gymwitch buys you a beer and picks your brain.

Cheers

Ian

2 hours ago, Mr Fro said:

That's what I've got.

Keep the chain nice and sharp and it's great.

https://www.radmoretucker.co.uk

Pm 

If you must do branded, but I don't see any advantage over electric for home use, I've never had to dig out petrol chainsaw at home and I'm contemplating replacing petrol with battery because draining cleaning and starting before and after hibernation is a pain.

For constant or frequent use petrol is great.

I'd be happy with any 2000w electric with a decent bar and chain.

Not a chainsaw but I'll just say I have a Stihl hedge trimmer which is an absolute beast and cuts through anything in the garden with ease. Used to be my father-in-laws when he had a landscaping business so its not a little light use thing :lol: 

Nevertheless I still dig out my 15 year old mains powered black & decker for some bits as its just lighter and easier to wield :thumb:

4 hours ago, TimR said:

Especially for carving .

I just want to cut angled slices of about an inch thich from 2 inch diameter branches and straight cuts through 5 inch up to 8 inch logs. Im pretty good with saws and what not as i worked in an antique restoration place and made bbq tables at one stage but they were table saws of course. 

Edited by gymwitch

Guest Swagman
16 hours ago, gymwitch said:

I just want to cut angled slices of about an inch thich from 2 inch diameter branches and straight cuts through 5 inch up to 8 inch logs. Im pretty good with saws and what not as i worked in an antique restoration place and made bbq tables at one stage but they were table saws of course. 

A chainsaw is nothing like a table or bench saw totally different animal although all are dangerous, but if you use a chainsaw then you have a real deadly piece of kit so as said earlier use with full ballistic safety trousers and jacket gloves boots high leg ones, if it does kick back it’s as fast as fook and you haven’t time to get out the way, we had a lad in our department on a forestry training course with us good job he had the safety clothes on or his leg would be gone the trousers were knackered but he just got bruised.😔😔

After retirement I started a small gardening business. I bought a job lot of tools, including a small Echo chainsaw. I realised that I wasn’t trained in its use so couldn’t use it in a customer’s garden due to public liability etc. so I sold it. I now need a small chainsaw to use in our garden (includes about 3/4 acre wooded). For the gardening work I used Stihl battery powered kit, which has proven to be, light, robust, easy to handle and reliable. Looking at the Stihl range their chainsaw appears to use a different battery.

Which brings me onto my point. Battery powered stuff is fine but there’s little or no standardisation on design even within a single manufacturer (Ryobi, possibly, excepted) which means multiple batteries and multiple chargers should you want to extend your range of tools.

2 hours ago, Steve_M said:

After retirement I started a small gardening business. I bought a job lot of tools, including a small Echo chainsaw. I realised that I wasn’t trained in its use so couldn’t use it in a customer’s garden due to public liability etc. so I sold it. I now need a small chainsaw to use in our garden (includes about 3/4 acre wooded). For the gardening work I used Stihl battery powered kit, which has proven to be, light, robust, easy to handle and reliable. Looking at the Stihl range their chainsaw appears to use a different battery.

Which brings me onto my point. Battery powered stuff is fine but there’s little or no standardisation on design even within a single manufacturer (Ryobi, possibly, excepted) which means multiple batteries and multiple chargers should you want to extend your range of tools.

Milwaukee 18v same batteries entire range, ego same batteries entire range including a sit on mower 😁 

Chainsaws can be an incredibly dangerous tool especially if used by a tool.