Screwdrivers

manxie49

OK went to do a couple of jobs again today and yet again most of the heads are chewed up on my screwdrivers, cheap crap and I suppose I got what I paid for .... Can anyone recommend any decent quality screw driver sets that's going to last longer than a few months?? They are used frequently, both on engines and around the house,  I would sooner pay for quality rather than continually keep replacing the cheaper variants, cheers, 👍

Edited by manxie49

Halfords advanced stuff is good and has a lifetime guarantee so you can go back and swap easily enough if one gets knacked. Prices are decent as well 

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/tool-kits/halfords-advanced-screwdriver-and-bit-set-250548.html

Edit: Beaten by @Bender :lol:

• Like 1

As you've said, you get what you pay for. 

I'd backup the Halfords Advanced/Professional range, also the MAC as many technicians use them when they refuse to pay StrapOn prices. Beta and Wera are also brands worth looking at.

Fish 

• Like 1

Thanks guys,  I've opted for a set of the Halfords advanced, they look pretty good, get good write ups and they can't be any worse than the ones I've got!  The wera ones looked pretty good, as suggested by fish, and I was tempted, I'll see how I get on with the Halfords ones though 👍

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stu said:

If you are looking to use them on bikes then you need to be buying JIS screwdrivers 

I spoke to a guy at Halfords who did the cycle maintenance about JIS screwdrivers, he said Halfords Pro were all he used on Shimano (Jap) gear sets & never had an issue.

I used them on Mikuni carbs with no issues.

Just now, Mickly said:

I spoke to a guy at Halfords who did the cycle maintenance about JIS screwdrivers, he said Halfords Pro were all he used on Shimano (Jap) gear sets & never had an issue.

I used them on Mikuni carbs with no issues.

I have stripped screws with the halfords ones and invested in some JIS screwdrivers 

Unless they have changed their design as far as I'm aware they aren't JIS 

16 minutes ago, Stu said:

You could maybe have a look and see if you can tell ? 

JIS SD.jpg

I get to work on some jap boilers and you can certainly tell the difference, most of the time I can get away with halfords but if a screw is really tight I have a driver bit supplied by importer and it fits perfect.

• Like 1

Halford are an okay brand, they do the bizzo at a reasonable price.

Personally, having spent some years running Halfords stores, I wouldn't be in a rush to take the word of a bike builder.

Vessel make nice screwdrivers including JIS. Teng are also good, as are Facom but you're talking at least twice the price of Halfords. 

16 minutes ago, Mr Fro said:

Vessel make nice screwdrivers including JIS

I have a set of these 

Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for! 

My P2 is getting past it now though 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I have a set of these 

Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for! 

My P2 is getting past it now though 

I really like them - the serrations on the pokey end grip even scabby screw heads.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Fro said:

I really like them - the serrations on the pokey end grip even scabby screw heads.

Yes quite a nice feature to be honest 

I have a couple of these too which are handy 

• Like 3