Camping Food

dynax

Don't know if anything like this has been posted before.

Just though it would be an idea for you to post any recipes or share what food you cook and take with you when you go camping.

Today I have been cooking a chicken and spinach curry, now boxed up and in the freezer.

I also have a chicken broth on the go in the slow cooker, that will get boxed up and frozen tonight.

Later this afternoon will be cooking a rather hot but sweet chilli, also being frozen.

• Like 1

I don't do any cooking when Im on a camping tour. none.

The closest I get to it is boiling up some water in the morning to make a cafetière of fresh coffee.

pots and pans and washing up. this is not my idea of a holiday. 

Though having said that I do have a crepe pan which is almost flat and wouldn't take up much room. so I might take that for bacon and egg butties for breakfast. its easy to get tired of croissants.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 3

If I'm on  the bike I'll boil water for coffee but that's about the limit. If I'm backpacking in hills somewhere then I'll carry stuff but mostly ridiculously expensive freeze dried food or sachets from outdoor shops; I'm only likely to do this for 2 nights max - plus maybe bacon and bread. Minimum weight though so no cans etc. More than 2 nights and it's hello hotel.

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Like 2

I usually just boil water for a cup of tea. I'm a tea belly. But do take a small pan, if I get the urge to cook something, I do take my own Vodka though. Last year in Bayeux, I stayed at a very basic site, just a cabin with 10 cubicles for ones ablutions.  Each evening at the front of the site, a food van would arrive, Pizza's, Kebabs, local dishes etc.  

@dynax erm, are you off camping somewhere

• Like 1

For breakfast I'll do a fry up or take a pot of ready to heat up porridge. Rice or pasta is dead easy to do mixed with something out of a tin thats heated up for a meal later in the day.

I have a fire pit that I can also cook burgers and sausage on if required. Often I'll just eat in a restaurant, it just depends on how remote the camp site is but I enjoy cooking something up.

Photos are from easter weekend. I've got a really compact pan set which takes up very little room but is really versatile. https://www.seatosummit.co.uk/products/camp-kitchen/x-set-32/

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-20 at 21.13.16.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-20 at 21.12.47.jpeg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Bungleaio said:

For breakfast I'll do a fry up or take a pot of ready to heat up porridge. Rice or pasta is dead easy to do mixed with something out of a tin thats heated up for a meal later in the day.

I have a fire pit that I can also cook burgers and sausage on if required. Often I'll just eat in a restaurant, it just depends on how remote the camp site is but I enjoy cooking something up.

Photos are from easter weekend. I've got a really compact pan set which takes up very little room but is really versatile. https://www.seatosummit.co.uk/products/camp-kitchen/x-set-32/

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-20 at 21.13.16.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-20 at 21.12.47.jpeg

That's pretty much the same setup I have. I'm hungry looking at that breakfast!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If camping on the bike we tend not to take too much to cook but if using the car then all the luxuries are taken.

On the bike tinned or homemade(preferred) stew and tinned potatoes heated on a Coleman primus stove, warm the spuds in there water a bit first them drain them off and add the stew and continue to heat as the spuds take a too long to heat and what meat that is in the stew breaks down. Did add some tinned carrots to this meal on the Easter weekend to stretch it a bit further.

Other meals can be usual cooked breakfast, extra sausage's cooked for sandwiches for lunch especially if at a race meeting. Homemade curry frozen, homemade chilli and I do like a home made cottage pie mix but with out the mash so its more like a mince stew if that makes sense.

I've go a tin of the Goblin hamburgers (the wife bought them) but not plucked up the courage to open them yet. Might wait until we are camped very close to the toilet block and its a quiet campsite.

The wife bought a toasty maker that heats over a hob so would be perfect for camping this on also breaks down so could be used as a frying pan, maybe a tad small but another make maybe bigger, link to the one we got.

23 hours ago, dynax said:

Camping of sorts, I will be actually night fishing a few times during the year. Probably somewhere near the coast and away from civilisation 😉

I was going to say camping on bike:

Breakfast - cereal bar,

Kenco 3in coffee sachet,

Ride to local cafe for breakfast,

Lunch - what ever I fancy from what ever shop/cafe/ whatever I stop at.

Dinner - go to local shop bring back and cook or eat out.  I always carry can of curry or chillie and some rice in case I find nothing of interest out.

Beach fishing but my thing but suggestions: 

Pot noodles (chicken piri piri),

Tin curry & rice, (put water in pan, remove label and open curry can place open end up in water, add rice round can - great until rice ready curry will also be ready)

Pot shots/ cup soups,

Kenco 3 in one coffee sachets,

Chrisps, 

Quiche,

If push comes to shove…

Lobster Thermidor au Crevettes with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam. 

(Obviously)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Done my chilli today as I didn't have time the other day. Will leave it bubbling away in the slow cooker overnight, from the first tastings this is my best one so far 🥵

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dynax said:

Done my chilli today as I didn't have time the other day. Will leave it bubbling away in the slow cooker overnight, from the first tastings this is my best one so far 🥵

If there is still a bottom in the slow cooker in the morning you didn't put enough chilli powder in it. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Gerontious said:

If push comes to shove…

Lobster Thermidor au Crevettes with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam. 

(Obviously)

Leave out the fried egg and spam it sounds pretty good. Obviously your bike carries way more kit than mine.

12 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Leave out the fried egg and spam it sounds pretty good. Obviously your bike carries way more kit than mine.

107 litres plus pockets. I’m hanging my head in shame as I type. Racked I am. Racked by a doom laden sense of inadequacy. In my next life I’m getting a gold wing with a refrigerated top box.

• Haha 2

On 22/04/2023 at 13:57, Gerontious said:

If push comes to shove…

(Obviously)

You can cook next time we go to Germany then!

• Haha 1

For me it depends on what I've been doing during the day. If I've been hiking or cycling, jeez, there are days I'll eat anything. Those dehydrated boil in the bag meals that taste oh so average in the kitchen are awesome on the hillside. As for freeze dried Summit Egg Custard & Apple Crunch, bring it on. Carbs, I want carbs because I know I've got to do the same the next day, maybe more.

If however I've been on my motorbike, previously stopped at a cafe, maybe had a decent lunch then it's got to be proper food, and if someone else cooks it for me, all the better. That's not to say I don't cook for myself, but camp cooking is a lot of phaff, the food goes cold quickly and it's not just a stove & a plate. It's all the other stuff that goes with it that you have to take with you I don't like.

• Like 1