Emergency alert

Bender

We got it. Mine happened about 15 minutes later than my other half's, so in an emergency she's got a headstart. Basically she'll be legging it down the road and I'll be having my brains consumed by zombies. 

Similar here. My wife asked what we would do if we're told Vlad the Bad is sending us a missile.

We're taking shelter in the cupboard under the stairs 🤣

We got two. Both on my phone, 15minutes apart. We’re both on Vodafone and are both at home (so same mast). 

it seems not enough testing was carried out before final testing took place.

• Haha 1

Bit of a damp squib really. Heard a bit of a squeak in my pocket and when inspected the phone had the message. Not exactly what the press had been hyping. As for advising of an imminent nuclear attack:

Option 1 if at home - break out the best booze and drink as much as you can.

Option 2 for anywhere else - put your head between your knees and kiss your ass good bye.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Bit of a damp squib really. Heard a bit of a squeak in my pocket and when inspected the phone had the message. Not exactly what the press had been hyping. As for advising of an imminent nuclear attack:

Option 1 if at home - break out the best booze and drink as much as you can.

Option 2 for anywhere else - put your head between your knees and kiss your ass good bye.

Na, option 2 find some bugger else's finest and drink that, or put it on credit card 😁 

• Like 2

I was at a family function and half hour before the alert there was a lot of discussion re the pro's and cons of it all. Despite the pre-event interest when the alert came there was generally a lack of interest and certainly not enough to interrupt the other topics being discussed. Not what I expected at all. 

Whaley Bridge dam incident was one of the reasons amongst others they decided to look at an alert idea. Would have been a bit messy if that went wrong and it was a bit labour intensive telling people to leave the area. Compound that with other global patterns and it makes sense I guess 

Edited by MikeHorton
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, keith1200rs said:

The problem I foresee is they will be sending alerts everytime it is a bit windy/rainy/snowy/icy rather than anything really important worthy of action.

Thats one concern, the other would be hackers triggering the system 

• Like 1

Nothing on my phone! Wifes phone went off as did her work phone 

I was out on the bike at the time so I was half expecting it to go off in my ear through the headset :? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Three out of five phones went off. I don't believe for one minute this government is competent enough or have the resources to prepare emergency plans and deal with what/which emergencies. 🤨

On 26/04/2023 at 23:16, S-Westerly said:

Don't think we've had a competent government since 1945.

And the leader that with modern eyes would never be allowed into parliament, to many opinions and decisions just would not be accepted in modern eyes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29701767

Oh and I didn’t get an alarm apothem I am on Three:

https://inews.co.uk/news/emergency-alert-networks-transmit-alarm-phones-silent-2293250

it will be interesting to see how and if it gets used.  Hopefully it’s kept for major events that are happening that have not had time to be broad cast on regular media. However if it’s left unused people won’t know how to react if it is,  I have left mine on until it irritates me.

I thought I would go to the gym for the alert, to see what it would like in a busy place. Mine came through at 1 minute to and I could barely hear it. I heard a few phones go off, but no one reacted. Another monumental waste of government money. It is only of use in a nuclear war and then what? It will not save any lives.

• Like 1

Was abroad so mine didn't go off :mrgreen:

I do think it's a good idea and could be used for a wider range of uses. For example last year I was on holiday at my Brothers home in Canada. We called in at a Mcdonalds for some breakfast and while in the queue everyones phone started beeping.

It was an alert that had been sent out across the whole of Manitoba Province. A 63 year old woman with dementia had possibly been kidnapped after someone had stolen her car with her in it!  The alert was sent out with a description of the vehicle and the lady. She was found safe approx 10 hrs later after someone rang the police to say they had seen a car matching the description given on the alert.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2022/06/04/63-year-old-with-dementia-allegedly-abducted-in-back-of-car-winnipeg-police-say.html

• Like 2