What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

Been working away in Glasgow for 16 days no chance to clean the bike before I went so had a deep clean today, cleaned the chain down and applied the pdl lube I purchased not sticky like other dry lubes I'll see if it lives up to its claims. I'll give the whole bike it's misting of acf50 tomorrow so it's all prepped for the winter! However looks like I have a nail or something similar in the rear tyre so I'll have to get that sorted this week while I'm off too how annoying.

Foolishly believing the forecast of 6C this morning I decided to wear biker jeans instead of my usual warm textiles. As I rode past Raby Castle at some ungodly hour the bike told me it was 1C. My knees agreed.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

The last couple of days have been a bit of an eye opener for me. I don't use my bike for commuting (I don't commute) but I've been doing just that for the last couple of days. A couple of things have become obvious - my slow speed filtering and manoeuvring has improved as normally its something I don't do to any extent. The second thing is if God forbid I found myself having to commute there is no way I'd want to do it in a car. My fuel consumption has gone to rat shit though.

I live that ride every working day. I wouldn't go back to commuting in the car unless I absolutely had too. Although commuting has lead to make some manoeuvres I wouldn't normally do, just to get away from the morons on their phones and the weed smokers on their way home. 

• Like 2

On 15/11/2021 at 18:40, billy sugger said:

My 600 is very vibey. I'm trying a different set of bar ends to see if they make a difference, but if not, has anyone ever heard of, or seen something to isolate the bars altogether, like rubber blocks, etc? 

The engine is a stressed member, so can't really do anything with that

Grip puppies or cheaper Chinese foam equivilant help lots with my gixxer

On 16/11/2021 at 19:24, Gerontious said:

I started to fit a hugger. then it began to rain so I stopped. covered the bike and went back inside.

and looked at it through the French doors. monsewer.

I did do a little victory dance though as the job interview I had this morning was a resounding success. and the new place is a 10 minute walk from my front door. which makes me feel all warm and gooey inside. Bit pointless even cycling to work now. nice pay rise too. I shall have to start looking at Ohlins. and stuff.

Good man. 

After a boring work teams call, I put all the warm gear on and went for a nice 4 hour ride. A couple of stops of tea and a butty, but otherwise I enjoyed the relitivly quite roads around Kent.

• Like 1

Went up to Morpeth from Barnard Castle mainly by way of the A68. Apart from the wind it was pretty good. Made the mistake of coming back by way of the A1 at rush hour. Passing Newcastle I almost lost the will to live. What seemed like endless miles of filtering complete with dicks who tried to squeeze me out. Won't be doing that again.

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

Went up to Morpeth from Barnard Castle mainly by way of the A68. Apart from the wind it was pretty good. Made the mistake of coming back by way of the A1 at rush hour. Passing Newcastle I almost lost the will to live. What seemed like endless miles of filtering complete with dicks who tried to squeeze me out. Won't be doing that again.

Should have cut off past airport to A68, they are crap at rush hours..... 

• Like 1

Tell me about it. Coming north on A68 the wind was quite a strong crosswind which occasionally caused me to jump about a bit. In daylight that's fine but in the dark less so. Know the road really well as used to be up and down it several times a week when I was home when we lived in Weardale.

• Like 1

On 15/11/2021 at 12:55, Pbassred said:

Saturday; failed my IAM check ride again. Decided to give up.  Too many things that I fundamentally diagree with that are gospel.  I can't find an advantage to passing. 

I’d be interested to understand what it is that you perceive as “gospel” that you disagree with. 

On 13/11/2021 at 20:03, S-Westerly said:

Got my bike winterised then realised I hadn't checked the oil for a while. Oops! Topped up more than 500 ml. Now prepped for my trip up to Co. Durham tomorrow. 

How are your eyes? 

🤔😇

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I've never ridden with panniers on before and I've got a long journey on Monday/Tuesday and thought I'd take the bike as it's looking dry.

So put those bags on the back and went for a motorway cruise to see what difference there was. Surprised there didn't see much at all.

Started work on the 500. I need to get some new crankcase bearing shells because the old ones are scored and I have a used complete conrod and pistons to fit in place of the original set. They are over a tenner a piece!!! 

I'm removing the ethanol from the petrol in the tank of the guzzi and added 'lay up' addative, then a short ride to run it through the carbs and that's that one for the winter. The Hondas will be used during the winter. Next week the Pan needs mot ing and the fx650 needs riding! 

• Like 2

Washed it, put some techcote acs on for winter, removed the dB killer from the exhaust and ran it for a wee while. It wasn't exactly quiet to start but now sounds nuts. Might put it back in but it seems when I removed it some wadding came out as well, in bits,  😬.

Not really the bike but I’ve been checking to see how much space my winter sleeping bag(s) take up in my panniers as part of my preparations for a camping trip in a few weeks time. 
171A187D-81FD-4856-A220-41B5E5D18A75.thumb.jpeg.12cfee29f551916b30c60adaa728c238.jpeg

I will be using the bike on Wednesday as it’s booked in for its first service. The dealer is an hour away so I’m pleased to see that the snow that was forecast for Wednesday afternoon has moved to the weekend. 🌨❄️❄️