Do you warm up your engine

Steve_M

before riding off?

During an spare moment I remembered that a U.K. law was introduced recently where you could be fined if you leave your engine idling on a public road (definition, anywhere the pubic has access - that includes your ungated drive). So, leaving your bike running to warm up the engine, attended or not, would leave you open to a fine.

https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/driving-law/fines-for-idling

Is the ritual of warming an engine a hangover from old engines? I usually start the engine, put my gloves on and ride at low revs for the first couple of hundred yards. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

before riding off?

During an spare moment I remembered that a U.K. law was introduced recently where you could be fined if you leave your engine idling on a public road (definition, anywhere the pubic has access - that includes your ungated drive). So, leaving your bike running to warm up the engine, attended or not, would leave you open to a fine.

https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/driving-law/fines-for-idling

Is the ritual of warming an engine a hangover from old engines? I usually start the engine, put my gloves on and ride at low revs for the first couple of hundred yards. 

Just for a minute or two while I put my gloves on - no way would I leave it idling without being a foot or less away from it.

11 minutes ago, Mickly said:

Just for a minute or two while I put my gloves on - no way would I leave it idling without being a foot or less away from it.

Even idling while astride it is illegal. My question is less the concern about the bike getting stolen than the rider getting nicked.

3 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Even idling while astride it is illegal. My question is less the concern about the bike getting stolen than the rider getting nicked.

Well that must be open to interpretation - how long are you allowed? What about if you are in a traffic jam? At the lights? Waiting to exit a junction? Waiting for the road to clear so you can pull away from the curb? Etc etc 

• Like 1

I think it's a good law when it comes to people sitting outside schools leaving their engines running for ages whilst they're waiting to pick up the kids. I suspect only a very officious officer would take action over someone idling an engine for a short period before riding off, particularly on a very cold day.

On very cold days I will start the Honda on choke and let it run for about 30 seconds until I know it will pull cleanly as I exit the drive. We're on a blind bend at the bottom of a hill and traffic comes round the corner far faster than the speed limit so if the bike stalls as I leave the drive it's an accident for sure. Otherwise I just fire it and ride straight away. 

I leave the choke on and the engine idling for a couple of minutes, not unattended though.

I think you'd be very unlucky to get a fine for that in reality - how would that even happen? A policeman walking past (already highly unlikely) decides to stop and watch you sat on your bike with the engine on, waits a few minutes, then issues you a fine? 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mickly said:

Well that must be open to interpretation - how long are you allowed? What about if you are in a traffic jam? At the lights? Waiting to exit a junction? Waiting for the road to clear so you can pull away from the curb? Etc etc 

The article suggests a minute.

26 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I think it's a good law when it comes to people sitting outside schools leaving their engines running for ages whilst they're waiting to pick up the kids. I suspect only a very officious officer would take action over someone idling an engine for a short period before riding off, particularly on a very cold day.

Agreed. 

Officious? That’ll be the traffic wardens then 🤔😂  (I hasten to add that, as yet, most encounters I’ve had with traffic wardens have been ok).

Push the bike out of the back gate. Lock gate. Shove keys in topbox. Put gloves on. Mount bike. Turn on. Go. 

I’m at least 5 mins away from the closest single carriageway national speed limit sign depending which way I want to go, so by the time I’m there the bike is up to temp. 

I used to turn the bike on and then put my helmet and gloves on but haven’t done that for about 6 years. 

I don’t think it’s a law at all .... give me a reference number someone .... it’s far too subjective .... this has urban myth written all over it.

I only let mine idle for a minute or so in the winter while I put my helmet and gloves on ...... Usually I just start and go, I just don't over rev the engine too much until it's properly warmed up.  I have seen people start their cars and disappear of back in the house while there warming up, that practice has apparently always been illegal, it's called "quitting your vehicle" 

2 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

I don’t think it’s a law at all .... give me a reference number someone .... it’s far too subjective .... this has urban myth written all over it.

Yep , I agree . Show us this law please before this silly discussion goes any further . 

• Like 2

Thought so ... Cars only .....

The Highway Code clearly states: "You must not leave a vehicle's engine runningunnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road." Drivers can face a fine of upwards of £20 for leaving the engine on while in a stationary car; this can go up to £80 in some areas of London.

You have to be approached by a Civil Enforcement Officer or Police Officer who can ask you to turn your car off and if you refuse only then can a penalty be issued 

5 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Yep , I agree . Show us this law please before this silly discussion goes any further . 

I was told this by instructor when taking lessons, leave it running at lights and in traffic but  if we got stopped at one of the rail crossings nock it off as examiner would be watching for it.

No idea if it would be a minor or he would just scowl at me 😁 

8 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

The Highway Code clearly states: "You must not leave a vehicle's engine runningunnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road." Drivers can face a fine of upwards of £20 for leaving the engine on while in a stationary car; this can go up to £80 in some areas of London.

You have to be approached by a Civil Enforcement Officer or Police Officer who can ask you to turn your car off and if you refuse only then can a penalty be issued 

The keyword is unnecessarily.  warming up my bike at least is definitely necessary. its an instruction in the owners manual.

and so, I always do.. though my own circumstances and bike usage means this almost never happens on a public road. it happens on my own patio.

• Like 1

Just now, Gerontious said:

The keyword is unnecessarily.  warming up my bike at least is definitely necessary. its an instruction in the owners manual.

and so, I always do.. though my own circumstances and bike usage means this almost never happens on a public road. it happens on my own patio.

Likewise .... patio at the front of the house or the path .... but always a warmup....

I start the engine before I push the bike backwards up to the point where I can turn and ride away. A couple of minutes?

At a long stop on a railway crossing I'll switch off to save fuel and if its a warm day to stop my arse catching fire.

As I live at the end of a narrow cul de sac don't think I'm likely to be pulled by any officious git and all the pushing and idling is on private land anyway.

Edited by S-Westerly

22 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

The legislation refers to vehicles rather than cars specifically. 

Section 98 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986/1078 requires a driver to stop the engine of a vehicle when it is stationary so far as is necessary to prevent noise or exhaust emissions, unless the vehicle is stationary because of traffic. Section 107 of the same regulations prohibits a person from leaving a vehicle unattended unless the engine is stopped.

If drivers are breach for reasons outside those stated above, is is considered an offence under section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 which can be punished by a fine of £2,500 if the vehicle is a goods vehicle or adapted to carry more than 8 passengers, or £1,000 otherwise (see Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 section 33 and Part I of Schedule 2 to that act).

With the silverwing no, the oil light is barely out and I'm off.

The R1 gets fired up before I put my gloves on so that gets about 1 minute.

The 380 will get a couple of minutes, 2 strokes are prone to cold seizure if you rag it too hard from cold.

The RGV gets at least 5 mins until the temp gauge is near the first mark and even then I'll baby it for around 10 miles before gradually opening it up.

Yes car when it's cold enough to be frozen or must and bikes just for gloves and lid.

I am aware of the rule and as vibes and car have quite exhausts is not one I am to concerned with.