What you doing this weekend?

rennie

The normal syringe style plunger, Aquablast, the plumber, 98% sulphuric acid and drain rods had failed so the new plunger is king round here!

To be fair to Aquablast they were both running when they left, only lasted about an hour though before one of them stopped again. 

It had got to the point I was considering ripping up the floor!

10 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The normal syringe style plunger, Aquablast, the plumber, 98% sulphuric acid and drain rods had failed so the new plunger is king round here!

To be fair to Aquablast they were both running when they left, only lasted about an hour though before one of them stopped again. 

12 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Is it the main drain that's the issue or just the sink ones running into main drain, small pipes tend to build up grease, big pipes tend to have something catching and causing a build up from that point, might have either a cracked pipe or if plastic I joint where something has snagged and blocking back up.

37 minutes ago, Bender said:

Is it the main drain that's the issue or just the sink ones running into main drain, small pipes tend to build up grease, big pipes tend to have something catching and causing a build up from that point, might have either a cracked pipe or if plastic I joint where something has snagged and blocking back up.

Judging from what I’ve seen come out I’d say probably both. The semi circular shaped white and reddish brown lumps were too big to have come from those smaller diameter pipes and I’d guess were large fat deposits built up around a main drain. They looked like someone had taken a mould of a large tube and broken it, they were pretty big. But the thing that appeared after a gurgle and the water suddenly running free I can only describe as a looking like a large grey turd, I know it can’t be (different drainage) but that’s the only way I can describe it!

My husbands grandmother lived here before us and the old kitchen held itself to the walls by congealed lard. Everything was greasy and she didn’t mind chucking it and anything else down the sink. I think (fingers crossed) the grey turd was it. It was the same colour as the stuff that you find in the trap and had a similar slightly smaller circumference than the white plastic pipes from the sink. There are 4 bends before it reaches the main drain which is far too many IMO. 

The second sink was blocked by a mini tennis ball that had floated its way up to an annoying place causing intermittent blockage! He always was a naughty dog 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve_M said:

Sound similar to our situation, though we don’t have the limestone. We are about half way up a hill. The guy who fitted our sewage treatment plant last year also installed drainage some years ago. 

The house and garden are smallish. The house was brand new when we got it 3 years ago. The garden was the remnants of an orchard although the trees are long gone. The ground was compacted by construction traffic. We spent the first spring we were in breaking up the soil. I won't be doing that again, ever.

1 hour ago, Steve_M said:

So it begins. This will be occupying us for the next couple of weeks, maybe longer depending on the availability of people to do lime plastering. 

BF45AA3D-AE04-4E0D-9994-82CDEF2EF4C6.jpeg

Looks an absolute  'mare. My son lives in an ancient house and in the spring he's having the complete kitchen including floors etc ripped out. Builders reckon 6 weeks! His wife and two tinies are moving in with her mother in Wales,  Covid permitting.

2 hours ago, Steve_M said:

So it begins. This will be occupying us for the next couple of weeks, maybe longer depending on the availability of people to do lime plastering. 

BF45AA3D-AE04-4E0D-9994-82CDEF2EF4C6.jpeg

Could have strapped the walls, added insulation and dry lined it.

35 minutes ago, Bender said:

Could have strapped the walls, added insulation and dry lined it.

Or we could do it properly and lime plaster. 😁 We dry lined the bathroom but that is a relatively modern addition that doesn’t need to breath in the same way that 400+ yr old stone walls need to. 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Looks an absolute  'mare. My son lives in an ancient house and in the spring he's having the complete kitchen including floors etc ripped out. Builders reckon 6 weeks! His wife and two tinies are moving in with her mother in Wales,  Covid permitting.

We got a little concerned about the first room we did, but now we’re quite blasé about it. It’s just time constraints that cause us problems. At least it’s only one wall this time, and not three which we had with the first room we did. That also had major issues with damp due to many years of neglect and a broke, leaking gutter (now replaced). 

35 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Or we could do it properly and lime plaster. 😁 We dry lined the bathroom but that is a relatively modern addition that doesn’t need to breath in the same way that 400+ yr old stone walls need to. 👍

My friends dad lost an eye with lime many many years ago.

I don't need any encouragement to go back to brick 😁 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

In other news, who mentioned dishwashers? Not only will I be fitting a new battery to daughter no.2's car, I am now told the dishwasher is broken as well.

I hope she makes a speedy recovery and its nothing serious.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

In other news, who mentioned dishwashers? Not only will I be fitting a new battery to daughter no.2's car, I am now told the dishwasher is broken as well.

That’ll be me. Broken for two weeks now. Repair man returning Tuesday with parts for dishwasher and washing machine,  including labour... £242