Nob of the Day.......

Tango

I would like to put forward a candidate for Nob of the day!

On route to Buxton, stopped at a T Junction Chapel-en-le-Frith, I am going to turn left, Vehicle approaching the junction from the right, had left turn indicator flashing but he was  approaching the junction at some speed, I am not a fan of being T-Boned, so wait and see if the vehicle is going to turn or...

Thump from the rear, shoved me forward into the path of the vehicle that didn't turn left! on with all the anchors, vehicle missed front wheel by a good inch or so.

So off bike, guy from the vehicle leaps out, very apologetic, said he wasn't concentrating and ASSUMED I  wasn't there  and the oncoming car was going to turn left.

Had a check round my bike no damage done, he hit my rear tyre, the front bumper on his Volvo SUV was well cracked, that's going to cost you I said, his wife gets out of the car, she is not a happy bunny, clearly, I am not his first, domestic about to kick off, I felt she's going to do a better job of grinding him than I felt like doing, so back on bike and off, 

He seemed a perfectly decent sort of a guy, offered me his details etc,  felt a bit sorry for him TBO

I had new tyres on the bike a couple of weeks ago, is this a new interpretation of running-in do you think?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Fender1515 said:

I would like to put forward a candidate for Nob of the day!

On route to Buxton, stopped at a T Junction Chapel-en-le-Frith, I am going to turn left, Vehicle approaching the junction from the right, had left turn indicator flashing but he was  approaching the junction at some speed, I am not a fan of being T-Boned, so wait and see if the vehicle is going to turn or...

Thump from the rear, shoved me forward into the path of the vehicle that didn't turn left! on with all the anchors, vehicle missed front wheel by a good inch or so.

So off bike, guy from the vehicle leaps out, very apologetic, said he wasn't concentrating and ASSUMED I  wasn't there  and the oncoming car was going to turn left.

Had a check round my bike no damage done, he hit my rear tyre, the front bumper on his Volvo SUV was well cracked, that's going to cost you I said, his wife gets out of the car, she is not a happy bunny, clearly, I am not his first, domestic about to kick off, I felt she's going to do a better job of grinding him than I felt like doing, so back on bike and off, 

He seemed a perfectly decent sort of a guy, offered me his details etc,  felt a bit sorry for him TBO

I had new tyres on the bike a couple of weeks ago, is this a new interpretation of running-in do you think?

Enough to cause damage to a car means get bike checked over as rear wheel could be misaligned , swingarm bearings could be flattened , same as wheel bearings etc etc 

• Like 2

Me or the guy in the outside lane for several miles down the motorway.

He was determined to sit there at 65mph, with an empty second lane. I would of liked to pass.  Unable to before my junction, I pulled into the middle lane.

He signalled in to the middle lane but could not, he had slowed sightly and I was inside him. 

Eventually he decided to change lane so I used horn to indicate my presence. He tried again and the third time I pulled into inside lane as it was now clear of traffic.

Turned out he wanted to leave at the same junction as me, it was so tempting to hold him in second lane till it was to late.

The look of desperation before I blipped the throttle to let him in behind was quite exquisite.  It would of been some detour in rush hour if he had missed his junction.

Edited by onesea
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, onesea said:

Me or the guy in the outside lane for several miles down the motorway.

He was determined to sit there at 65mph, with an empty second lane. I would of liked to pass.  Unable to before my junction, I pulled into the middle lane.

He signalled in to the middle lane but could not, he had slowed sightly and I was inside him. 

Eventually he decided to change lane so I used horn to indicate my presence. He tried again and the third time I pulled into inside lane as it was now clear of traffic.

Turned out he wanted to leave at the same junction as me, it was so tempting to hold him in second lane till it was to late.

The look of desperation before I blipped the throttle to let him in behind was quite exquisite.  It would of been some detour in rush hour if he had missed his junction.

I don't know why people do this seems a lot more common now even on an empty motorway nobody uses the inside lane 

4 hours ago, MikeHorton said:

I don't know why people do this seems a lot more common now even on an empty motorway nobody uses the inside lane 

I think there was something in the news recently that police are going to start using drones to catch out people sitting in the outside lanes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, daveinlim said:

I think there was something in the news recently that police are going to start using drones to catch out people sitting in the outside lanes.

About bloody time. 

I want to nominate a floc of nobs...

Maybe a herd. Whatever you would call them.

All Lorry drivers that jumps in front of you on a motorway doing 56.5 mph to overtake another lorry doing 56.4 mph.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, husoi said:

I want to nominate a floc of nobs...

Maybe a herd. Whatever you would call them.

All Lorry drivers that jumps in front of you on a motorway doing 56.5 mph to overtake another lorry doing 56.4 mph.

The collective you are looking for is a 'plague' of.....

• Haha 5

My cat....again.... :roll:

Second time this year she's walked over my head at silly o'clock in the morning.

Also the second time she's sliced my ear open doing it :crybaby:

4am today...

PXL_20230518_031743670.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

20 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

This evening's sailing ...

.... right in front of a crowd on the shore who demonstrated very little sympathy for my plight. 

You know boats wait for the most opportune moment to embarrass you. It didn't happen if there weren't spectators.

• Like 3

This doesn't really belong here - but not sure where else to put it - because this guy wasn't a nob. He realised his mistake and sorted it out without fuss.

I had spotted what he was about to do and figured if he carried on I'd slot in behind him, or if he stopped I'd go in front of him. In the end he just neatly got himself out of the problem. Nicely done.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

British Airways- the world's most useless airline. My brother just found out his flight home tomorrow morning was cancelled and the next available flight is tomorrow night. BA are trying to charge him £50 for the privilege of changing his booking when it's their fault. They also informed him via email but conveniently 10minutes after their "help" line closed for the night. I've had issues with them before and refuse to fly them point blank.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

British Airways- the world's most useless airline. My brother just found out his flight home tomorrow morning was cancelled and the next available flight is tomorrow night. BA are trying to charge him £50 for the privilege of changing his booking when it's their fault. They also informed him via email but conveniently 10minutes after their "help" line closed for the night. I've had issues with them before and refuse to fly them point blank.

We've had issues with them too, one annoying flight started with the announcement of no alcohol due to re stock issues just as we got in the air, not a problem except for the large group next to us who they sold full bottles of vodka to and allowed them to get hammered with resulting noise etc etc etc, lovely long haul flight that was.

• Sad 1

The guy I met head on who was overtaking on a blind bend yesterday. 

Fortunately I was taking it easy. Equally fortunately there was a patch of dry mud on the side of the road that he could veer onto creating sufficient space for me to pass between the two cars. 

I was not pleased.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Coming down a steep very narrow single track lane in N Wales this morning. I saw a car coming towards me with a passing place between us. 

The car had Dutch reg plates and got to the passing place first, but instead of stopping he carried on. I stopped but there was no way I could pass in the narrow lane, nor could I reverse back up the hill to the passing space half a mile behind me. 

It was a bit of a stand off until he begrudgingly backed as far as the passing space but stopped short making it very difficult to squeeze past him. 

There are some right pillocks out there. 

• Like 2

A funny nob of the day to finish up the Friday.

I had an argument with an elec engineer, who I even called to warn to drop the issue, and follow a suggested course. 

They called to say one of my generators had a breaker panel that was too small for the incoming cables. This turned out only to be the earth cables, they had 3, I'd only allowed a connection for 2. It's only a small unit, less than 1MW district heating system that provides a dozen blocks of flats with heat/power from one gas fired source. It will be hydrogen fired one day.

Without even checking, I reply that their calcs must be off to want to put that much copper cable on there. The engineer gets quite snippy and demanding. So I lay out the fag packet calcs. Showing he's based his in error on the max breaker fault rating, whereas he should have used the much smaller max generator fault current rating, as that's the most that will ever flow through that breaker. It lead to a difference of 650mm vs 100mm squared cable. 

He doesn't budge, so I offer to simulate it on *the* industrial standard software. He agrees, so at this point I call him and warn that it will simulate all cable sizes, and his mains cables in particular also looked massively over. I get the "I've been doing this 30 years" spiel. I offer to say we agreed a way forward on the phone, and to install just 2 of the 3 cables he's got. Still he refuses, and wants the project manager in receipt of the e-mail. He seems certain it will use the calc as written in his regs book, rather than actually simulating the earth currents and sizing the conductor accordingly, the report from this software is what gets most sites signed off. 

I ran it. His 650mm calculation was a little off... So was mine at 100mm, which was meant to be the "worst case". It was 21.5mm. And with his mains cables, he's put roughly £100,000 too much cable in. 

As requested, his project manager was CC'd into the e-mail...

• Haha 4

I am the Knob of the day :wave: The French must be laughing their heads of at the silly Englishman. 

Ordered the Crit Air Sticker off the French Gov Website, 5 days later I received the sticker, wow, that was quick, cant complain at the service. 

Stupid here, opens the envelope to look at the sticker, then places sticker back in the opened envelope, couple of hours later, put opened envelope, along with other envelopes and cardboard in the recycle bin, this morning, bin emptied into waste recycling wagon. :bang:

This evening, another sticker ordered 😂

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

The BMW (X2?) that decided it would be a good idea to stop half way up Sutton Bank with  queue of traffic behind him. I found myself stationary on the apex of the first hairpin desperately trying to lean the wrong way to avoid dropping my bike. No real drama but FFS why stop?!

• Like 3

The nob who designed the rear light cluster on the latest version of the Vauxhall Mokka. A tiny indicator right next to a high intensity brake light. Making the indicator virtually impossible to see.

Mind you the nob driving the damn thing hardly ever used the indicators anyway. 

Maybe he was embarrassed having such a tiny one. 

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1