What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

I have an annoying squeak coming from the swingarm pivot, it did the same about this time last year :classic_laugh:, anyway loosened off the nut and applied some oil and did my usual bouncing up and down to work it in, hopefully that should be another year of squeak free riding :thumb:

Didn't go out yesterday, which i'm glad really as today is a much better day, and i will have much more time, so win win :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, dynax said:

I have an annoying squeak coming from the swingarm pivot, it did the same about this time last year :classic_laugh:, anyway loosened off the nut and applied some oil and did my usual bouncing up and down to work it in, hopefully that should be another year of squeak free riding :thumb:

Didn't go out yesterday, which i'm glad really as today is a much better day, and i will have much more time, so win win :classic_biggrin:

I recommend you pull it apart and grease it all properly 👍🏻

Guest Swagman
1 minute ago, Throttled said:

Dry roads this morning, so a short run just to blow away the cobwebs.

Now you know what XTreme would say no pictures didn’t happen.🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I recommend you pull it apart and grease it all properly 👍🏻

Yes, i am going to do, just went back out to it and it still squeaks, so that is my job for tomorrow, going to get some bits in the morning then make a start on it after lunch :thumb:

• Like 1

I fitted a new side stand to my bike today.
When I rode the dealer's demonstrator, I remember thinking that the side stand seemed very short, allowing the bike to lean a long way over when it was deployed.
Then, when I ordered a bike with the lowered suspension, I thought that would see the bike leaning less far on the side stand (I made the assumption that the side stand would be the same length on both versions).
However, this was not the case. My bike also leant over a long way. To clear up any doubt, I measured both bikes.
My bike was 20mm closer to the deck, and the side stand was also shorter, maybe 20mm.
I went to the dealer's parts department, confirmed there were two lengths of side stand, and ordered the longer one.
I collected it today, removed mine and placed them side by side - mine was shorter.
With the new one fitted, the bike still has plenty of lean when on the side stand, in fact I fitted a "Kickstand Side Stand Extension Plate Pad" which raises it a little further just for good measure.
The bike is now easier to mount / dismount and pick up off the side stand, while still being secure when the bike is parked on anything approaching level ground.

I haven't seen anyone else complain about the side stand on a 2020 BMW F900XR - am I the only one ?

14 hours ago, gogs01 said:

When I rode the dealer's demonstrator, I remember thinking that the side stand seemed very short, allowing the bike to lean a long way over when it was deployed.
Then, when I ordered a bike with the lowered suspension, I thought that would see the bike leaning less far on the side stand (I made the assumption that the side stand would be the same length on both versions).
However, this was not the case. My bike also leant over a long way. To clear up any doubt, I measured both bikes.
My bike was 20mm closer to the deck, and the side stand was also shorter, maybe 20mm.
I went to the dealer's parts department, confirmed there were two lengths of side stand, and ordered the longer one.
I collected it today, removed mine and placed them side by side - mine was shorter.
With the new one fitted, the bike still has plenty of lean when on the side stand, in fact I fitted a "Kickstand Side Stand Extension Plate Pad" which raises it a little further just for good measure.
The bike is now easier to mount / dismount and pick up off the side stand, while still being secure when the bike is parked on anything approaching level ground.

I haven't seen anyone else complain about the side stand on a 2020 BMW F900XR - am I the only one ?

How much does your bike lean on the stand if you load it with luggage? 

enjoyable day out today, riding the green lanes, and enjoying the solitude,  didn't see another living soul on any of the green lanes today.  Time for the wash off now,  I seem to have more mud on me than the bike has! :classic_huh:

IMG_0620.jpeg

IMG_0622.jpeg

Edited by manxie49

On 25/11/2020 at 10:27, gymwitch said:

Washed and polished and cleaned chain...got a new paddock stand...is there a knack to using them? If there is i dont know what it is. 

Front or rear? My usual thing is to put a block of wood under the side stand so the bike is almost vertical. Then standing at the rear get the stand into position, hold the back of the bike firmly and lever the stand up with my foot. It's much easier with two people of course. 

• Like 1

On 26/11/2020 at 12:57, husoi said:

How much does your bike lean on the stand if you load it with luggage? 

My bike has only done 450 miles so far, so I don't know.  I'm hoping that Spring or Summer 2021 will allow the opportunity to fill panniers and topbox for a European trip.  Based on what I have seen so far, I think it will be perfectly fine.  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

Guest Swagman
1 minute ago, Mr Fro said:

I moved them around the garage so I can finally have a go at getting my mill off it's pallet.

Shit that’s a big pepper pot, has it own pallet.😜😜

On 25/11/2020 at 21:57, gogs01 said:

Some BMWs do have short stands. First 9T test ride I had that moment of horror I was about to drop the bike but no it was just a short side stand. There was also a small hole the piddly side stand end had found its way into so the combo of that and the short stand meant I couldn’t get it upright. I was in the middle of god knows where in Wales thinking about how embarrassing it was going to be ringing the dealer and saying “Hi umm my hopelessly-skinny-can't-lift-for-toffee-crappy-butler-weed arms can’t get the bike upright, where am I? Umm I dunno” 😆 

Pushed the bike upright then got on- phew. Bought a 9T and immediately lengthened the sidestand👍 since then I have dropped it in front of an audience and embarrassment meant my kermit arms were suddenly capable of flinging the bike upright with one hand so it’s all in the mind 🤪

The RE Himalayan side stand on the other hand is far too long and cannot be used in some settings cos a slight breeze would have the bike over. 

Did my first spannering today, knowing I could always find help on here if I needed it. Thanks to you guys 'n' gals, I now have a nice new pair of brake discs fitted. Wasn't brave enough to renew the brake fluid though :classic_blush:

It did show me just how grungy everything is when I started taking bits off - so I'll do it all again soon and have plenty of brake cleaner/wd40/kerosene to hand.:thumb: