How do you store your kit

We're in the middle of doing a bit of spring decorating and I've got to thinking how to store my kit. 

I commute on my bike 90% of the year so having a better way of keeping kit neat but accessable would be great.

I've seen ads for all in one storage that you could hang on the wall that holds your lid, gloves and jacket. Has anyone used something like these. Do they work well or do you end up scratching the walls with your stuff. 

I have a double height kitchen cupboard - actually two cupboards, one stacked on top of the other due to our low ceiling height. It holds four sets of textiles, one set of leathers, two helmets, two pairs of boots and other associated miscellaneous paraphernalia.

E84010A0-AC14-4992-9A74-D0752CCB14F5.jpeg

46FABEC8-87E8-487C-8DB5-A684072BD9EF.jpeg

• Like 4

I built these in our bedroom that house our bike gear in the middle two and our helmets in the right cupboard :lol: 

All our clothes are in one of the spare bedrooms :lol: 

IMG_20210305_204537.jpg

IMG_20210419_104122.jpg

• Like 3

Cupboard under the stairs where there's an IKEA cube thing which takes helmets and boots and a row of hooks for jackets and trousers of gear in use. Rest is in spare wardrobe upstairs with other sporting clothing.

Cupboard on landing in between the bedrooms. 
Shelf inserted just above head height for helmets.  Then bought one of those disabled rails (long one) fixed that underneath the shelf to hang clothing on and on the floor are the boots at the front and panniers at the back. 

I'm a slob. Most of the time the kit in use lives on the sofa in my study. The kit not in use lives in a cupboard unless it's drying in which case it will be on the back of the door.

Helmets are meant to be on the bookshelf but may be anywhere. Often found on the kitchen drainer after washing the mud / bugs off them. 

Buffs hang over the back of a chair in the study. Earplugs, gloves, camera may be on the bookshelf, kitchen windowsill or my desk. 

If someone comes to arrange a wedding or funeral I tidy up, and then I can't find anything. 

• Haha 3

Made a wide shelf out of some bit offcut of thick ply I found in the garage, mounted it in the garage*, about 4 feet high. Screwed in long towel rails to the underside, to take hangers for jackets and trousers. Helmets and crap go on top. 

*ok, technically it's in the upstairs part of the garage. Not sure why our garage has an upstairs...

I’ve just tidied my kit cupboard to discover how much old and redundant bits of kit I have stuffed in odd corners. They’re not worth much but still have some life left in them so wondering if there’s some sort of scheme where I could donate them to, say, young riders. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

I’ve just tidied my kit cupboard to discover how much old and redundant bits of kit I have stuffed in odd corners. They’re not worth much but still have some life left in them so wondering if there’s some sort of scheme where I could donate them to, say, young riders. 

I tried looking into doing something with my old gear and kit that the kids have out grown, the only thing I found was Ebay charity sales and then select the charity 'Two wheels for life'. You still have to pack and post, Just like any other Ebay sale. Wrong I know, but I haven't done anything with them yet. 😔

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, I’m a newbie and reading through some threads.  I also use a Biker Tidy and swear by it. Great capacity and I can store all our gear easily.  For gloves, I set up a rail under shelving with the rail connecting two of the shelving supports, and then begged Sainsbury’s for some old hanging clips they use for clothing (shoes I think), and that works well.

IMG_7810.jpeg

IMG_7811.jpeg

Edited by GojuRyu5
Spelling error
  • Like 1

My frequently used kit is kept in cupboard in the utility room. Miscellaneous old bits of kit and security stuff are kept in a cupboard in the barn / workshop where the bike is kept. 

The cupboard is actually two kitchen units stacked one above the other - we have a low ceiling in the utility room so it’s the only way we could fit something of that nature in.

138DD6F0-B378-4968-9973-D44A307BB0AB.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, husoi said:

All over the place.... :) 

Same here. A shelf for helmet and gloves, trousers and jackets in a wardrobe, boots in a cupboard and bits at my lock up.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Im amazed on how nobody has asked why so many of individual bits of kit?? 😏
helmets (fiddle), coats and pants (steve and bonio) and gloves (Go)..

mine are housed in two places as i share with the misses...most of the stuff is in the inbuilt clothes wardrobe and apart from my helmet, two pboots and the matching gloves in a small cupboard.

23 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Im amazed on how nobody has asked why so many of individual bits of kit?? 😏
helmets (fiddle), coats and pants (steve and bonio) and gloves (Go)..

mine are housed in two places as i share with the misses...most of the stuff is in the inbuilt clothes wardrobe and apart from my helmet, two pboots and the matching gloves in a small cupboard.

Are you insinuating that one can have too much gear????? 🤨

For you to know I ONLY have:

4 pairs of gloves (1 summer)

3 leather jackets, 

1 leather trousers

3 waterproof jacket

1 waterproof trousers

1 pretend to be waterproof trousers

1 over gloves (intended to be waterproof)

1 sat nav

3 helmets (2 flip up)

2 intercomms

2 tank bags

2 pannier bags

1 bike dolly (for the Pan)

2 trickle chargers

1 full power smart charger

leather treatment kit

waterproofing spray

And don't make me go about the trailer...

38 minutes ago, husoi said:

Are you insinuating that one can have too much gear????? 🤨

For you to know I ONLY have:

4 pairs of gloves (1 summer)

3 leather jackets, 

1 leather trousers

3 waterproof jacket

1 waterproof trousers

1 pretend to be waterproof trousers

1 over gloves (intended to be waterproof)

1 sat nav

3 helmets (2 flip up)

2 intercomms

2 tank bags

2 pannier bags

1 bike dolly (for the Pan)

2 trickle chargers

1 full power smart charger

leather treatment kit

waterproofing spray

And don't make me go about the trailer...

😶 No not at all.
Someone might think its a collection or a obsession!!😉

But i am wondering if Go is an octopus with that many gloves.🤣