Which 'retro' naked?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these do I want to get?

• Kawasaki Z900rs
    • Honda CB1000r
    • Yamaha XSR900
    • BMW R nine T

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/05/21 at 12:51

I'm fantasising about a new (or newish) bike. Opinions please? I don't think the Honda or the Yamaha are actually retro, but they are sort of in the same bracket, and often come up in the comparisons. I understand that the prices are different, and that probably would rule of the BMW, but apart from that...

I have a non-confirmed favourite but won't say it yet.

Edit: I've added pictures of the bikes (Tiggie)

_data_cat_img_r_ninet_scrambler_1_jpg_rw_900.jpg

20YM_CB1000R_STD_RED_FRQ_DEF.jpg

040920-2020-Yamaha-XSR900-right-profile.jpg

Kawaski-Z900RS-Testanera-Esterna1-LOW_NEWS.jpg

2 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

I had a test ride on a BMW R nine T .. loved the engine hated the bike ....

I had a loaner while my bike was in for warranty work. I liked the whole package. 

A mate’s got the Honda and is chuffed with it. I wasn’t so keen when I took one for a test ride.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Breezin said:

Wow. BMW is way out in front. Hadn't expected that strong a preference. 🤔

But it is a nice bike :D 

I think if I was in the market for something like that then that would be my preference 

only one of the 4 is what I would describe as a naked Retro. and thats the Kawasaki, which at least has some pretence of looking the part. the other 3. there is absolutely nothing retro about them at all.. its just meaningless. At least the Kawasaki takes at least some cues from the 1970s. The others have zero antecedents. except perhaps in name only, and even thats pushing it.

This is a modern retro... with style cues that go way back 90 years, more or less. Tank shape is wrong so are the front forks.. but everything else pretty much could have come out of a 1930s catalogue. If i had the space (and wasn't so stupidly tall)... then one of these for me.

triumph-motorcycles-bonneville-bobber-880x503.jpg

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

only one of the 4 is what I would describe as a naked Retro. and thats the Kawasaki, which at least has some pretence of looking the part. the other 3. there is absolutely nothing retro about them at all.. its just meaningless. At least the Kawasaki takes at least some cues from the 1970s. The others have zero antecedents. except perhaps in name only, and even thats pushing it.

This is a modern retro... with style cues that go way back 90 years, more or less. Tank shape is wrong so are the front forks.. but everything else pretty much could have come out of a 1930s catalogue. If i had the space (and wasn't so stupidly tall)... then one of these for me.

triumph-motorcycles-bonneville-bobber-880x503.jpg

Or one of these

IMG_20210430_121108541.jpg

3 minutes ago, JackieOWheels said:

Are both not the same bike?? Lol.

But of the 4 though, Kawasaki looks the parts.

Not the same. The original Bobber has slimmer front forks, a larger diameter and slimmer front wheel, single disc. The Bobber Black has the heavier front end which is why it doesn't flow round bends as sweetly.

The 2021 Bobber is basically the Black with different colour options and a larger tank off the Speedmaster.

• Like 1

Just now, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Not the same. The original Bobber has slimmer front forks, a larger diameter and slimmer front wheel, single disc. The Bobber Black has the heavier front end which is why it doesn't flow round bends as sweetly.

The 2021 Bobber is basically the Black with different colour options and a larger tank off the Speedmaster.

oooo, I did not know that, learnt something new today. 😀

The Kawasaki strikes me as the most retro, if that matters to you.  It didn’t matter to me, so I bought a CB1000R.

But ride them all and buy the one that gives you the widest grin!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gromit said:

The Kawasaki strikes me as the most retro, if that matters to you.  It didn’t matter to me, so I bought a CB1000R.

But ride them all and buy the one that gives you the widest grin!

and i still think the xjr's look the business