Air fryer, who has one

Bender

We were a bit late to the air fryer fad, wife informed me one had arrived last sat, there was a conversation (apparently) prior to that at which I was present and agreed 🤔 

It's not great at everything but the stuff it's good at are bloody marvellous. 

It's early days, it's taking a little getting used to cooking times, sometimes they are really short sometimes not, if you get it wrong though as in too long it's toast, literally 😂 

Way more energy efficient than the oven and seems to keep more flavour than a pan or the oven. 

• Haha 1

I have a teen and a nearly teen in my house - who want to 'snack' all the time - its been a god send -not only does it turn it self off (prior to this the oven was left to warm and then left on forever) .. but chips and chicken dippers - work in a treat! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

I tried one once but it made a crap cup of tea so I sent it back 

Yea I  imagine tea pot  gets a bit hot and it's bound to be a pain to get the strainer in. 

To the rest who could resist a stupid answer, you could have mentioned the benefits before now 😂 

I cooked our entire tea in it the other night and it cost about 8p 😁 we're still on an old tariff. 

Had steak tonight, finished off with super fry, came out perfect. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bender said:

To the rest who could resist a stupid answer, you could have mentioned the benefits before now

Sorry I assumed this wasn't mumsnet :lol: 

• Haha 5

ok so how about we recommend stuff that is better air fried 

Croissants

Re-heated - chip shop chips 

chicken strips

sausages

jacket potatoes (microwave for 10 mins first - perfect)
Roasted potatoes 

Now i'm hungry!

• Like 1

I’m too excited to be hungry. I’ve just been warned about wolves by an Italian “Don’t sleep. There are wolves!!” He said. “Make fire and talk loudly” he continued.

oddly enough I was just polishing my stove when this thread popped up. Sorting out my camping gear. Only 14 weeks so times growing short. An air fryer would be useful but it needs a bit more power than the bike can supply. See what I did there? It’s a hard life trying to make these odd threads relevant to a bikers forum. But I do try. Now… where’s my kettle?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

See what I did there? It’s a hard life trying to make these odd threads relevant to a bikers forum.

No need for that here. The clue is in the thread section :wink:

image.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tigs said:

ok so how about we recommend stuff that is better air fried 

Croissants

Re-heated - chip shop chips 

chicken strips

sausages

jacket potatoes (microwave for 10 mins first - perfect)
Roasted potatoes 

Now i'm hungry!

Jacket potatoes are great as you say microwave in a little water for 10 mins 1st. I put a bit of oil on them salt and pepper too before going in the air fryer 

• Like 1

Scampi and chips tonight from air fryer. Chips were underdone and the scampi was baked as hard as walnut. We're still learning.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Father in law gave us one at Christmas. We've used it a lot since. 

Just don't over pack the thing. Did chicken thighs one day and was great. Tried fitting too much in and some of it was cooked and other parts raw. Clues in the name. Let enough space for air to flow. 

We have got one , use it a bit although over the years our use age of it has become rather limit.  Alternative to a grill basically, 7 minutes a side suits most things although bacon still cooked properly.

Potato peelings make great crisps, drop of oil and heat till your shade of cooked.

The steamer gets used as much vegetables, boiled eggs, rice, dim sum.

• Like 1

We also use it for garlic bread with home made butter and a part baked baguette,  just be careful when slicing the bread to put in the butter as bread can break, oh and sit it on a bit of foil so any dripping butter gets soaked up into the bread.

Edited by Mick67
typo
  • Like 2

I got my daughter and son in law a Ninja one for Xmas. Now my son in law had sold his Kawasaki Ninja when they married … I made a joke about getting them another Ninja!  Very much a Dad joke!  I thought it funny. Don’t think anyone else did lol

• Haha 5

I have no idea if we’ve got one or not, the only kitchen appliance I have any interaction with is Mrs Mickly.

This of course is a joke & if she ever found out I said this I would end up down A&E having an air fryer removed from an intimate area 😬

• Haha 6

Well, with no kitchen the ninja foodi is our main way of cooking. It's been great. Cooks a lovely roast chicken, use the pressure cooker for stews, soups and curries. Cheap to run, very efficient.