If you can give only ONE piece of advice to a new Rider, what will it be?

Troy

Riding a motorbike well is a marathon not a sprint. 

You'll be learning every time you go out, so don't rush to be a fast person as it never ends well. Take your time and clock up your miles, do extra training. 

Practice falling off and NOT limping into the house without your other significant shouting .. “ fell off again you twat” .... as she bursts out laughing ...

Edited by Trooper74
  • Haha 4

Definitely earplugs. As essential as a helmet and gloves. 
Oh and get proper clothes. 

You can do being a biker however you like. 
those starting in mid forties and buying litre bikes to use on weekends in the sunshine on nice twisters are  more at risk of it going wrong.

7 hours ago, SometimesSansEngine said:

You'll still be learning in a few years. 

And that's ok.

Define a few! I'm at 20 years and still learning 

• Like 2

As soon as you have learned to ride , get a big bank loan and buy your ultimate dream bike right NOW .   You've got little over ten years to enjoy it before they turn off the petrol . 

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, GrahamH said:

Wear ear plugs,  the wind noise in your helmet  can damage your hearing over time

Wear ear plugs, the sound of your engine will always worry you ... unless you can’t hear it !! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, JustinW said:

In a corner, make sure you can stop in the amount of road you can see.

On single track roads, halve that distance. I’d add blind crests to the original advice, too. 

• Like 2

Do not distract yourself or other motorcyclists by waving at them . You don't know these people and they don't know you . Nod your head if you must but never take your focus off the road ahead . 

6 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Do not distract yourself or other motorcyclists by waving at them . You don't know these people and they don't know you . Nod your head if you must but never take your focus off the road ahead . 

Loads of bikers were doing this yesterday is it some new craze that's started up, anyway I just gave  a slight nod back  both hands firmly on the bars :thumb:

1 hour ago, fastbob said:

For some, the motorcycle is an essential part of travel. For me though it’s a toy and I get a buzz from it when it’s used. I can be like a child when the Sun comes out and I get on the bike. I go all fuzzy inside 😎 

I find myself giving a “wave” rather than a nod when I’m in this mood.

I appreciate that this is sound advice your giving and it is important to keep yourself and other road users safe.

Edited by Troy
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Troy said:

For some, the motorcycle is an essential part of travel. For me though it’s a toy and I get a buzz from it when it’s used. I can be like a child when the Sun comes out and I get on the bike. I go all fuzzy inside 😎 

I find myself giving a “wave” rather than a nod when I’m in this mood.

I appreciate that this is sound advice your giving and it is important to keep yourself and other road users safe.

Same here but the last crash I had was immediately after I waved at a couple of bikes . 

9 hours ago, fastbob said:

Same here but the last crash I had was immediately after I waved at a couple of bikes . 

And buried in here is the best advice of all: don't fall off.

• Like 4