E10 Fuel - be warned...

Turbogirlie

Actually got one of them from when armageddon  (Covid) first arrived. My wife thought we should stock up on stuff. We had petrol but no bog roll. Giving it away to my son for his lawnmower as after a 18 months don't really fancy putting it in the bike. Cue someone telling me why I should/ should not.

3 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Yeah but...you also recently 'fessed up to buying a FIAT. 

I had an Alfa once. Great fun although the gear stick did detach itself once when my wife was driving it. I was safely away at sea.

You could throw a match in and see if it ignites :wink:

1 minute ago, S-Westerly said:

Actually got one of them from when armageddon  (Covid) first arrived. My wife thought we should stock up on stuff. We had petrol but no bog roll. Giving it away to my son for his lawnmower as after a 18 months don't really fancy putting it in the bike. Cue someone telling me why I should/ should not.

1 minute ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Bog roll doesn't actually burn that well when you lob a match on it.

I believe it does if you soak it in petrol first. Don't think even the EU has advocated bog roll as fuel. 

Edited by S-Westerly

6 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Yeah but...you also recently 'fessed up to buying a FIAT. 

No they tried,  it was a Renault in disguise,  I bought a Nissan In disguise instead, funny how you can buy a Nissan that's a Renault with longer warranty cheaper than you can buy the Renault with a different badge. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiggie said:

Don't worry. I'm keeping a close eye on this thread and won't let it get out of hand :thumb:

It's flouncey time!!!!! Bwahahhaha!!!!

What if I mention

Biscuits? :wave:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread but…

My car’s engine management light came on yesterday - it’s done around 23,000 miles. I popped it to the local garage who said it’s a couple of sensors. Luckily the car is still under warranty so will be covered for this work. 

He asked if I used E10…

Now I’m aware that it’s a tenuous link (correlation vs cause) but he was saying that he’s encountering more such failures, and he’s hearing similar tales from other garages. 

5 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

He asked if I used E10…

Now I’m aware that it’s a tenuous link (correlation vs cause) but he was saying that he’s encountering more such failures, and he’s hearing similar tales from other garages. 

So if E10 is causing sensor failures in your car model / manufacturer, they must have been seeing these problems in Europe for some years now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bonio said:

So if E10 is causing sensor failures in your car model / manufacturer, they must have been seeing these problems in Europe for some years now. 

Good point. How would we find out?

Have to say that despite some misgivings previously on a few recent occasions I've had to use E10 as there's been nothing else and you know what? I've not noticed any difference at all. Much as many people predicted.

E10 fuel will only cause sensor failure if you drive past a 5G phone mast more than four times a week without having your car roof insulated free of charge while under the influence of a vaccine invented in three weeks to control people's minds into thinking that Brexit is still a great idea despite the fact that there's f**k all in the shops . 

• Haha 2

I must say that both my machines will perform differently with either of E10 or E5.

I don't think I will us anything else other than premium E5 petrol.

Also considering building the prototype for my ethanol extractor that I've designed. Never got through with it because I didn't really see any advantages for it.

Having seen some comments (are they good or not I can't say) about ethanol being bad not only for the fuel lines but also some of the peripherical devices. Makes me think that maybe it is time to start that new project.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, husoi said:

I must say that both my machines will perform differently with either of E10 or E5.

Also considering building the prototype for my ethanol extractor that I've designed. Never got through with it because I didn't really see any advantages for it.

Having seen some comments (are they good or not I can't say) about ethanol being bad not only for the fuel lines but also some of the peripherical devices. Makes me think that maybe it is time to start that new project.

Do your bikes have knock sensors? That's the only way an engine will know the difference.

2 hours ago, husoi said:

If you remove the ethanol then you'll alter the octane rating (in a bad way) which could cause knock and bugger your engine.

6 hours ago, Bianco2564 said:

Depends what sensors, if Lambda maybe connected to the E10. 

Anything else probably just bad luck.

Silicone sealants are bad for lamda and cats, e10 burnt is highly unlikely to cause an issue, the o2 sensor is doing just that working out if engine is running lean or rich from o2 in the exhaust, it creates a voltage can't see any way running e10 would cause early failure, they don't make e10 specific lamda sensors..

5 hours ago, husoi said:

I used E10 in my Pan European consistently between when I bought it new in 2012 and trading it in last week. It was 100% reliable throughout. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bender said:

Silicone sealants are bad for lamda and cats, e10 burnt is highly unlikely to cause an issue, the o2 sensor is doing just that working out if engine is running lean or rich from o2 in the exhaust, it creates a voltage can't see any way running e10 would cause early failure, they don't make e10 specific lamda sensors..

Yes totally agree, my point was of all the sensors on the engine, the only ones that could be affected by a change in fuel would be the lambdas, e.g., if the mechanic diagnosed a TPS or cam sensor you know he is talking BS about the e10. It's highly unlikely but shouldn't be dismissed without some investigation and facts, not hearsay or Facebook speculation. It's not said what car it is but at 23000 miles must be fairly modern and compatible with e10.

On a certain M3 forum I'm on ,the amount of people that insist on running them on super unleaded only when the handbook clearly states it can run on 95 as it has adaptive knock control. BMW say you can run then safely on E10 but the reaction on some on the forum is like they are being asked to run it on diesel. During the recent fuel shortage some were panicking because there was no 98 anywhere and were scared to put e10 in case it immediately damaged the engine.

1 minute ago, Bianco2564 said:

Yes totally agree, my point was of all the sensors on the engine, the only ones that could be affected by a change in fuel would be the lambdas, e.g., if the mechanic diagnosed a TPS or cam sensor you know he is talking BS about the e10. It's highly unlikely but shouldn't be dismissed without some investigation and facts, not hearsay or Facebook speculation. It's not said what car it is but at 23000 miles must be fairly modern and compatible with e10.

On a certain M3 forum I'm on ,the amount of people that insist on running them on super unleaded only when the handbook clearly states it can run on 95 as it has adaptive knock control. BMW say you can run then safely on E10 but the reaction on some on the forum is like they are being asked to run it on diesel. During the recent fuel shortage some were panicking because there was no 98 anywhere and were scared to put e10 in case it immediately damaged the engine.

BMW owners might have some grounds for not taking the manufacturer at their word. A long time ago a lot of BMWs with alloy engines were recalled as a "precautionary measure". Our neighbour sent his three month old car in and was told it would be a few days before he got it back. 

When it came back he didn't notice any difference until he asked his independent mechanic to take a look under the bonnet. Lo and behold his all alloy engine had suddenly developed a cast iron engine block.