Prices  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What are you paying?

• more than £6
    • more than £7
    • more than £8
    • more than £9
    • more than £10 😳

Just wondering out of interest what people on average are paying for their Fish & Chips. We've had to raise our prices and are getting grief from some over the staggering extra 20p they have to pay :roll:

Part of the problem is that a Fish supper used to be a cheap meal but that just can't be the case anymore, especially if you want a decent sized piece of haddock or cod. My boss sent me an article he read in his newspaper ( pictured below) which showed average prices throughout UK, they look a little high to me so I deciding to poll you lot and see what results are.

PXL_20220226_144749696.jpeg

C756B054-FC50-4544-A888-6BC478EA540C.thumb.png.0bbb4173212334ad34214fefe34c8d15.png

£6.30 for me in Grimsby. 

EDIT: After looking at the other menu’s, I’d like to point out that the menu above just says small fish etc because we only eat one type of fish round here. None of that Cod shite 🤣

Edited by fullscreenaging
  • Haha 1

About right in NCL for me... Around £6-7 for the fish (most seem to use cod near me), £8.10+ for Fish and Chips (in a box). Also can vary quite a bit even

between shops that are on the same street.

Edited by peatear

I only have fish and chips on average once a year, as a winter warmer (usually)... or twice if its on the menu at the Schloss.  I generally go for the full monty, large cod, medium chips and large peas. lucky to get £1+ change from a tenner. Generally I tend to think a Chinese is better value for money. I have fairly dim memories of a fish and chip meal costing around 20p in the early 70s. - we had a chippy at the end of the street and it was a regular treat on Fridays. And it was usually me that was sent, clutching a list and 50p - which would feed my parents, me and the twins.

Last time I got fish and chips, regular cod was £5.50 and a couple quid for chips. Bloody good it was too. If it was fried in beef dripping I'd pay a bit more.

Edited by goat

I think a cod is around £4.50 for a large one round here, I don't usually have chips you get far too many and most end up wasted. I usually get 3 fish peas and curry sauce, 2 fish for me and one for the cats to share :thumb:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiggie said:

Just wondering out of interest what people on average are paying for their Fish & Chips. We've had to raise our prices and are getting grief from some over the staggering extra 20p they have to pay :roll:

Part of the problem is that a Fish supper used to be a cheap meal but that just can't be the case anymore, especially if you want a decent sized piece of haddock or cod. My boss sent me an article he read in his newspaper ( pictured below) which showed average prices throughout UK, they look a little high to me so I deciding to poll you lot and see what results are.

PXL_20220226_144749696.jpeg

about £4 for fish and chips around us 

Edited by skyrider

£4.20 for cod, £3.40 for chips. The humble potato costs nearly as much as cod. Haddock is nearly  £8 I like it but its too expensive. I'm happy with other white fish options but not many local chippies offer them round by us. 

My prefered choice of chippy has the fish (cod) at £7.60 with chips being £2.70 (I think). The 'small' fish is still too big for me as I'm not the biggest of eaters anyway. 

I have the joys of travelling the country for work and found Peterborough the cheapest to date, but I guess I'll have to take a trip up to Grimsby to sample the local grub. :) 

3 hours ago, MikeHorton said:

£4.20 for cod, £3.40 for chips. The humble potato costs nearly as much as cod. Haddock is nearly  £8 I like it but its too expensive. I'm happy with other white fish options but not many local chippies offer them round by us. 

a few years ago a big bag of spuds was 50p

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skyrider said:

a few years ago a big bag of spuds was 50p

A year or so ago I know of a mobile food van that was paying £28 a sack to guarantee he was getting decent clean spuds 😟.  He wasn't bothered though as he was working festival events and charging eye watering prices

• Sad 1

To be honest I have given up on fish and chips round here. Over priced made to order so needs planning or 30 minute plus wait.  

Gravy mushy peas invariably from freezer to microwave, so even a quick portion of chips and gravy isn’t going to happen.

Fish and chips is for the end of long day and quick food on the way home for me.  If I am in that humour I will dial a local kebab house, it will be at home quicker than They can fry a fish…

Cod, chips and a battered sausage .. peas, beans or curry sauce in a pot ... £6

Chicken tikka kebab with chips and salad £3.80

The half dozen chippies within 2 miles of our house are run by eastern europeans or Cypriots, the latter being in the majority. 

Great food.