Jump to content
  • Sign up now

    Registration is quick and easy 

What did you do to your bike today?


Stu
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, dynax said:

 

The one that's stripped there is an alignment tube which would make tapping out a bit more difficult, hence my reason just to go with bonding in a stud.

I once bonded a cylinder head together with metal repair putty, the two pack type. Much to my surprise it lasted fine, until some little swine nicked the bike and crashed it into a tree. The proper way is as @Bender said, but if you want to try an alternative method metal repair putty would be better than epoxy. Epoxy will fail in that situation.

 

Re. the bike that got crashed into a tree, the front end was a write off but the engine was still ok. I was chasing him at the time when he lost it going downhill on a bend. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I once bonded a cylinder head together with metal repair putty, the two pack type. Much to my surprise it lasted fine, until some little swine nicked the bike and crashed it into a tree. The proper way is as @Bender said, but if you want to try an alternative method metal repair putty would be better than epoxy. Epoxy will fail in that situation.

 

Re. the bike that got crashed into a tree, the front end was a write off but the engine was still ok. I was chasing him at the time when he lost it going downhill on a bend. 

I hope he was hurt at least as much as the bike. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I once bonded a cylinder head together with metal repair putty, the two pack type. Much to my surprise it lasted fine, until some little swine nicked the bike and crashed it into a tree. The proper way is as @Bender said, but if you want to try an alternative method metal repair putty would be better than epoxy. Epoxy will fail in that situation.

 

Re. the bike that got crashed into a tree, the front end was a write off but the engine was still ok. I was chasing him at the time when he lost it going downhill on a bend. 

 

This was my thinking as it doesn't need much force to seal, I will look at the repair putty it should work okay on cast alloy, thanks MB :thumb:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, dynax said:

I also have another problem now, on the oil filter cover one of the bolt holes has stripped the threads and can't get it tight enough to seal properly.

I was thinking about using an epoxy resin and bonding in some studs and use dome nuts instead of bolts, good or bad idea otherwise it would mean retapping and run the risk of breakout.

I would use an M6 Helicoil kit . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, fastbob said:

I would use an M6 Helicoil kit . 

 

The thread that has gone has a locating tube/dowel in it, just looking for a simple solution for the time being.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, dynax said:

 

The thread that has gone has a locating tube/dowel in it, just looking for a simple solution for the time being.

Fair enough , I've got a kit that I can post if I can find all the bits . 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Failed my MOD 1 with a foot down on the figure 8 after a faultless slalom. Everything else after that was also faultless. Speed traps for the emergancy stop and advoidance was a bit high (up in the 60's)

 

Trying to get dates to rebook is now a headache as work is now really kicking off and really busy. :(

 

Fish

  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fish said:

Failed my MOD 1 with a foot down on the figure 8 after a faultless slalom. Everything else after that was also faultless. Speed traps for the emergancy stop and advoidance was a bit high (up in the 60's)

 

Trying to get dates to rebook is now a headache as work is now really kicking off and really busy. :(

 

Fish

Bugger,  don't dwell on it, easier said than done though, I know I've been there. 

 

Fingers crossed you get sorted for re test and fly through 👍 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Where to begin: Firstly rang the other shop about the seal, young lad on other end of phone says yes we have some come down and we will sort one out for you.

6.5 mile bike ride there to find no lad but someone else and says oooh no we don't stock them here, might have some in the warehouse what's the part number, needless to say left empty handed, and another 6.5 mile ride home.

 

Secondly Bridget has been formally signed over to the new keeper and all documents filled in and signed.

 

And lastly managed to find a seal on the bay of evil which seems to match the dimensions of the old one, should arrive early next week.

 

Job for tomorrow after trying to do some shopping will be to sort out the oil filter cover bolts and get that oil leak fixed.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bender said:

Bugger,  don't dwell on it, easier said than done though, I know I've been there. 

 

Fingers crossed you get sorted for re test and fly through 👍 

 

I think I took my frustration out on the ride home.

 

I'm now rebooked for the 24th. Mod 1 only at this point, they  did try and get both modules on the same day, but I requested that they be split as the government takes enough of my money already.

 

I'm now tempted to book the modules but using my 125, at least if I pass I can lose the L's ;)

 

Still I've got Bikesafe on Saturday to look forward to. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Fish said:

 

I'm now tempted to book the modules but using my 125, at least if I pass I can lose the L's ;)

 

My thought don't do it.

You Aced the bits that most struggle with in the 60's

Careless moment on the 8 it happens.  I would practice slow speed manoeuvres on 125cc in car park. As I recall car bays are slightly smaller than u turn distance. Figure of 8' s come out smaller as well.

Then on mod 1 on bigger bike it all becomes easy. 

Well that's what I found.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well my plan for a big ride was put to a halt! only managed the first leg which is where I went to look at some bikes in a dealers! although that was the destination then on from there we was supposed to go home via snake pass

 

But I ended up spending way too long in the dealers talking about this :D 

 

Screenshot_20210610-165332_Chrome.jpg

 

Deposit paid and its sold pending a test ride tomorrow :cool: 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Well my plan for a big ride was put to a halt! only managed the first leg which is where I went to look at some bikes in a dealers! although that was the destination then on from there we was supposed to go home via snake pass

 

But I ended up spending way too long in the dealers talking about this :D 

 

Screenshot_20210610-165332_Chrome.jpg

 

Deposit paid and its sold pending a test ride tomorrow :cool: 

right so thats your spending limit done for the week then 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Blimey @Stu. Never would have put you as that old.

Never ridden one, but they're supposed to be great bikes. Is it a 1200?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bonio said:

Blimey @Stu. Never would have put you as that old.

Never ridden one, but they're supposed to be great bikes. Is it a 1200?

 

I'm not that old you cheeky bugger :lol: 

 

Yes its the 1200 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, skyrider said:

right so thats your spending limit done for the week then 🙂

 

Errr something like that :lol: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Stu said:

Well my plan for a big ride was put to a halt! only managed the first leg which is where I went to look at some bikes in a dealers! although that was the destination then on from there we was supposed to go home via snake pass

 

But I ended up spending way too long in the dealers talking about this :D 

 

Screenshot_20210610-165332_Chrome.jpg

 

Deposit paid and its sold pending a test ride tomorrow :cool: 

👌nice bike.  I'd a thought you'd a been a RS  man 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Pie man said:

👌nice bike.  I'd a thought you'd a been a RS  man 

 

Its a me and the wife kinda bike! we love just pottering about and little quiet roads in the UK then we get a few little tours in for at least 4 day weekends and up to 10 days in Europe  

 

I am hoping it has a stable mate ;-) 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This maybe would be better on my trailer thread, that is if I could be bothered to look for it 😁

 

After a total failure of the hinges in the trailer, I should have predicted that they weren't strong enough for the new purpose.

1131224772_oldhinge.thumb.jpg.8a6e26614777c5d07efefd7fc5fc2e99.jpg

With just over 1mm thickness this have shown that was far being strong enough.

Searched the market without any luck in finding a suitable hinge that would fit the purpose.

The requirements are that when fully closed there is a big enough gap for the fixings.

So I had to design and manufacture them :cool: 

 

These are the materials used:

35X2mm SS bar

Ø6mm rod

Ø10m OD tube with 2mm wall

763156853_hingerawmaterial.thumb.jpg.3fcb0ee6ad32c2a24133ddc4246f24b3.jpg

 

These are a few of the steps I have

1211075547_firsthinge1side.thumb.jpg.6d29bc9bee8f970bdf679d280e2d3826.jpg

1505634155_firsthinge1side1.thumb.jpg.c59c56dbd35b68186ed5d2ff1704338a.jpg

Back view of the complete hinge 

1548537341_firsthingeback.thumb.jpg.5fba63bf3dffdf731a04511961e13b25.jpg

 

Inside view of the hinge

 

17167240_firsthingeinside.thumb.jpg.3baf9636992b2b6dddf4cbb186dff2af.jpg

Almost finished, just need securing the axle and make the holes for the bolts and revites

654109746_firsthingeinside2.thumb.jpg.2fb4cce55c657cfe64641caa257229ee.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is not an issue as it is stainless steel. And not been brushed and properly clean yet.

When I complete the second one I'll give it a nickel coating to prevent the welding from rusting

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, husoi said:

This maybe would be better on my trailer thread, that is if I could be bothered to look for it 😁

 

After a total failure of the hinges in the trailer, I should have predicted that they weren't strong enough for the new purpose.

1131224772_oldhinge.thumb.jpg.8a6e26614777c5d07efefd7fc5fc2e99.jpg

With just over 1mm thickness this have shown that was far being strong enough.

Searched the market without any luck in finding a suitable hinge that would fit the purpose.

The requirements are that when fully closed there is a big enough gap for the fixings.

So I had to design and manufacture them :cool: 

 

These are the materials used:

35X2mm SS bar

Ø6mm rod

Ø10m OD tube with 2mm wall

763156853_hingerawmaterial.thumb.jpg.3fcb0ee6ad32c2a24133ddc4246f24b3.jpg

 

These are a few of the steps I have

1211075547_firsthinge1side.thumb.jpg.6d29bc9bee8f970bdf679d280e2d3826.jpg

1505634155_firsthinge1side1.thumb.jpg.c59c56dbd35b68186ed5d2ff1704338a.jpg

Back view of the complete hinge 

1548537341_firsthingeback.thumb.jpg.5fba63bf3dffdf731a04511961e13b25.jpg

 

Inside view of the hinge

 

17167240_firsthingeinside.thumb.jpg.3baf9636992b2b6dddf4cbb186dff2af.jpg

Almost finished, just need securing the axle and make the holes for the bolts and revites

654109746_firsthingeinside2.thumb.jpg.2fb4cce55c657cfe64641caa257229ee.jpg

 

Were you using flux cored wire on those? It looks like you've got very little fusion on a couple of those eyes - I'd be concerned that they might pop off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Well my plan for a big ride was put to a halt! only managed the first leg which is where I went to look at some bikes in a dealers! although that was the destination then on from there we was supposed to go home via snake pass

 

But I ended up spending way too long in the dealers talking about this :D 

 

Screenshot_20210610-165332_Chrome.jpg

 

Deposit paid and its sold pending a test ride tomorrow :cool: 

What make is it, I can hardly make the bike out that badge is so big 😂 

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mr Fro said:

Were you using flux cored wire on those? It looks like you've got very little fusion on a couple of those eyes - I'd be concerned that they might pop off.

No, normal wire without gas. I quite like the silly sound it makes.

The fusion in the inside is just added strength to the hinge and it will help holding the axle.

When fully complete I'll have to run some torsion and strength tests but don't think it will break.

The weld on the outside (back of hinge) have a good fusion on most of the link between the tube and the bar.

I know it doesn't look nice or professional. I'm only interested in having it working :thumb: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.